Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ooey Gooey Fun

I recently purchased the book, The Marshmallow Incident by Judi and Ron Barrett (the author and illustrator of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs). The book tells the story of two neighboring towns, the town of Left and the town of Right. The towns are divided by a yellow dotted line and the residents are restricted to their towns based on whether they are left or right handed; they are not allowed to cross the line. The line is guarded by ambidextrous knights who happen to also guard an enormous supply of marshmallows that one of the knights won through a poetry contest. Well, eventually someone crosses the line and the knights have to act. They grab the nearest ammunition, which happens to be marshmallows, and thus begins the marshmallow incident. C and R both enjoy the book and we have been reading it over and over again. When I find a book that captures their interest this much, it always motivates me to expand upon the book with a few book related projects.

We connected marshmallows with toothpicks and straws to create figures and geometric shapes.



Building a marshmallow pyramid was a challenging task. This one fell down immediately after the picture was taken.

Tic Tac Toe with marshmallows was fun! We stuck two different colored straws in our marshmallows to distinguish them for our game (I removed them for this photo). If I had thought ahead, I would have bought the Halloween marshmallows I saw at Target recently and we could use the different shapes or colors to play.

Of course, we made s'mores. This was a lot of fun thanks to a recommendation for the S'mores Maker from my friend Susana.We ate way too many marshmallows, but we had a lot of ooey gooey fun!

13 comments:

Susana said...

This book looks/sounds really fun!

LOVE the fun you had with the marshmallows, Joe would enjoy something like this too:-).

So glad you y'all enjoyed the S'mores Maker!!

danita said...

fun! did you have them try different things left and right handed? my son is a lefty and my daughter is a righty, so that would be interesting for us!

Rebecca said...

What fun ideas to do with marshmallows!

Michie said...

That book sounds good! It also sounds like "The Butter Battle Book" by Dr. Seuss. You could read that one too and make butter. :)

Christie said...

That sounds like a great book! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun with marshmallows. =)

Miller Moments said...

I'm so excited to know about this book. We've enjoyed her other books and will now look for this one too!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

love the marshmallow sculpture! yummy smores!

Sherry said...

Ohhh how fun! I really need to get on the "building with marshmallows" bandwagon cuz my little Lu would love it!

Christy Killoran said...

Danita - I didn't even think of trying things right and left handed! C is right handed and we think R is left handed but she hasn't really made up her mind yet. Maybe we will go that route next time. Thanks for the idea.

Michie - We haven't read that book, but I love the idea! Thanks.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

hmmmm somehow my reader didn't pick up your feed!!!
This is some serious fun! I'm going to have to copy cat this with Z! he'll love it! :)

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Fun AND delicious.... My daughter would be in heaven with all those marshmallows!

Ticia said...

That's been on my list to check out sometime.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Anna LOVES marshmallows and never accepts that they can use for fun. When she sees them she eats them. I do love all your ideas, and maybe one day we will even be able to try them out :)