Thursday, October 7, 2010

Andy Warhol


James Warhola, the nephew of Andy Warhol, wrote two books about his famous artist uncle.  In Uncle Andy's, James wrote about visiting his uncle in New York City and learning about art.

Uncle Andy's Cats is a funny story about how Andy Warhol's house became overrun with twenty-five cats named Sam.  

I wasn't sure if C and R would be interested in the books, but they really enjoyed both of them.  I liked showing them some of Warhol's art in books that are funny and interesting.

After listening to both books, C and R were inspired to create some art of their own.  I can't say that their art is in the style of Warhol, but they were inspired to create art and that is all that matters.

This is C's art:


This art was created by R:



I really enjoy books for children that tell true stories about artists.  In July, I wrote about how much we enjoyed Camille and the Sunflowers, A Story about Vincent Van Gogh.  I don't remember learning anything about artists in any of the art classes I had in school, so I am learning quite a bit right along with my kids.  I love it.

I am linking this post to Artists and Art at The Adventures of Bear  and to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures.



 

12 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

You keep finding such interesting books for your children! I'm bookmarking this for later.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Very colorful artwork! I love all the artist inspired book blog posts at The Adventures of Bear. I didn't learn much in my classes in school either about the artists.

There's an online Andy Warhol art activity at http://www.webexhibits.org/colorart/marilyns.html
You can change the colors in his Marilyn print.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for book recommendations. I might have to look them up. I love the art from R and C that was inspired by Andy Warhol and the books of his nephew.

Ticia said...

Whenever I feel up to starting artist studies and the like I need to come here and over to Adventures of Bear and get all sorts of ideas.

Of course my library probably won't have all the cool books......

Jenny said...

That is so cool that you are exposing them to all of these artists. I didn't learn about any of them until college! LOL!

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

I love the idea of teaching about specific artists. Their artwork turned out amazing!

Unknown said...

This is really nice art work, I glad the book was able to inspire this. Thank you for sharing.

Sherri said...

I too love art and love to have my kids read about artist...and different styles! Love all you do!!!!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I love this series you're doing! Uncle Andy's Cats looks adorable. What a great-sounding story!

Kathryn said...

I had never heard of these. My son is teen but I am picking up books to put back for future grandchildren in about 10 years and these sound like ones to put in the Grandma box. Thanks for sharing these with us!

Lynn said...

Can you believe I *just* looked for Andy Warhol books at my library this morning? We did some fun crafts that I'll post about this week or next. I didn't like the books I found -- thanks for the other suggestions. :)

Charlene Juliani said...

Wow such great art!

I don't remember learning about artists in art class either. Seems sad now that I think about it! You would think a teacher would want to teach about great artists while showing you how to create it.

If you stop by to see our stART project, please check out my interview with Leah of Almost Unschoolers as well.