Saturday, October 30, 2010

Utah

We began our Fifty States Project over one year ago.  C, R, and I are slowly working our way through the states, enjoying it every step of the way.  If you would like to read about our method of studying the states, click here to read an old post I wrote. 

We are currently learning about the state of Utah.  I usually let C and R pick the state that we study, but I chose this one simply because of the book The Wheat Doll by Allison L. Randall.  The book is based on a true story of a young girl named Mary Ann Winters who lived in the territory of Utah in the late 1800s.


Mary Ann had a doll that she made out of wheat, and the doll was her best friend.  One day, Mary Ann left her doll in the garden and was unable to retrieve it due to a severe storm that moved in quickly.  She was unable to find her doll after the storm, but never gave up looking.  When winter turned to spring, Mary Ann made a surprising discovery.  You will have to read the book to find out what happened, but it is definitely worth reading.

C and R were not interested in reading this book initially.  We had it in the library basket for two weeks before they would even consider letting me read it to them.  Two pages in and they were both hooked.  They both felt so sad when Mary Ann lost her doll, and they both LOVED the spring discovery.  C and R were also shocked to learn that the doll was most likely the only toy that Mary Ann had.  Just imagine, ONE TOY!!! 

The illustrations by Bill Farnsworth are so perfect for this book.  They were created in oil on canvas and possess an old fashioned quality that really draws the reader into the book.

This is truly a heartwarming story of loss and renewal.  It is not often that I rave this much about a book, but this is one that I will be sad to return to the library (I have already reached my limit on renewing it and it is overdue - I'm having trouble letting go).  I might have to ask Santa to put it under the tree FOR ME!! 

I am considering making a wheat doll with C and R.  I have reservations, however, because we will put in the time and effort to make the doll  and I am not so certain that they will ever play with it.  Unlike Mary Ann, C and R have FAR TOO MANY TOYS and many of them just sit on shelves or in toy boxes.


On another, somewhat related note, R does have a special doll and this seems like a good place to mention her.  Every night, R falls asleep with Sally tucked under her arm.  She is a Manhattan Toy Groovy Girls princess that was named Seraphina by someone, but R thought she looked like a Sally and there you have it.  Sally is certainly special to R and that makes her very special to me too.  Things like this bring tears to my eyes because I am weird like that.  R has had Sally for over a year and I hope she never loses her!

I am linking this post to What My Child is Reading - one of my favorite places to find great books for kids!
I also want to acknowledge Ticia from Adventures in Mommydom because I learned about this wonderful book in one of her blog posts.  Thanks Ticia!
 

11 comments:

Mandy said...

My friend who is staying with us is from Utah if you guys have any questions :)

MaryAnne said...

I borrowed that book after reading about it on Ticia's blog, too - such a great book! And I was just admiring a doll like R's doll in a store yesterday, thinking it was a great doll for little girls.

Ticia said...

I think that was one of my favorite state books of all. It's such a great story, and I agree with you I couldn't rave enough about it.

Amy said...

Hooray for Utah!
I hope my 9 year old would like that book. It's hard for me to find books that keep her interest. We'll have to get it! Thanks

Jenny said...

Sally is so pretty! I can just see the amount of time and work you would put into a wheat doll only to have it sit there. Not worth it! LOL!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I liked this book quite a bit, too - but my girls hated the ending - they thought it was too sad.

Lynn said...

I guess we should check it out! There is a fun place in Utah called This is the Place (kind of like Plymouth Plantations) where they do various crafts at each of the houses. One of the crafts is making cloth dolls. It might be easier than the wheat but the same idea? This kind of thing (without bothering to sew on trim) - http://www.ehow.com/how_5825463_make-hankie-doll.html.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining WMCIR! I agree with you on the number of toys in the house - it's especially obvious after birthdays :) I remember reading about this book on Ticia's blog and thought that it will be worth a look. Thanks for sharing your opinions about it.

April said...

I am starting doing a geography study with my daughter this week. I am using your blog as a resource! Especially because I am planning on doing ours like you do yours. Thank you again for your ideas. I'm starting with Maine.

I recently received a postcard from someone who lives in Utah and they said that they are the "beehive" state. I hadn't looked into Utah yet but I thought it would be neat to learn about bees a little bit when we got to that state.

Misti said...

Hello from Utah! We are called the Beehive state because we are supposedly very industrious! Thanks for studying our state, we think it is great. We have actually swam in the Great Salt Lake, watched Speed Week at the Salt Flats and skied in the Rocky Mountains. Hope you enjoy learning about our great state and its pioneer heritage.
We love your blog and all your great book recommendations. Please email us if you have any Utah questions: misti_robinson@msn.com.

Emily Kate said...

What a cool project! I'm from Utah too so am happy to answer any questions you may have.