Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Piet Mondrian Interpretation


C learned about Piet Mondrian, a Dutch painter of the neo-plasticism style, in art class.  From what I have read, the style consists of a white ground upon which is painted a grid of black vertical and horizontal lines and the three primary colors. 

C first viewed paintings like the one above and then glued black construction paper lines onto white paper and colored in the squares using primary colors.  When I asked him about Mondrian, he told me that the artist did not like curvy lines and that he was not American.  That about sums it all up in six year old language!

Here is C's interpretation of Mondrian's work:


I am linking this to Artists and Art.

7 comments:

Ticia said...

He did a great job! That's probably what I would have gotten from it as well.

Jenny said...

I remember that artist. Neat project!

Lynn said...

Perfect choice for a kids art project!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

C's summary cracked me up - short and to the point. I think he did rather well with his take on Mondrian.

Jenny said...

Oh, I've seen this artist before and thought about doing a project! Thanks for the inspiration!

MaryAnne said...

Great work, C! And, I love his summary of Mondrian =)

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

That's hilarious - and probably the only thing I remember about him as well. :)