Thursday, October 21, 2010

Easy Mummy Craft

C loves to come home from school and make something fun.  He was very excited to make a mummy. 


I used an empty cereal box, brown craft paper (you could use paper grocery bags), and crepe streamers (I used the whole roll) to create this mummy.


First, I used the brown craft paper to wrap the empty cereal box just like I would wrap a present.  This step is necessary or you will see the print on the cereal box through the crepe streamers.  I liked the brown because I thought it created the right background for the mummy, but you can use brown paper or paper bags instead of craft paper.


Then, C and I worked together to wrap the box with crepe streamers.  Every once in a while, he would place a piece of clear tape somewhere on the back to keep the streamers in place. 


Once he was satisfied with the wrapping, he used a black marker to draw eyes and a mouth.  This was easy and fun - perfect for a quick after school craft.


C, R and I enjoyed reading Where's My Mummy? by Carolyn Crimi.  This book features a little mummy who wants to play one more game of "hide and shriek" before going to bed.  Baby Mummy starts off his game in the cemetery and ventures off into other scary places. Baby Mummy meets a variety of scary creatures without showing any fear.  It's only when the creature that is not scary at all (I don't know why I said not scary at all, it's a mouse, and I would scream like a baby if I saw a mouse cross my path) crosses his path that Baby Mummy calls out in fear for his mummy.  The rhymes in the book are fun and the book is delightfully spooky without being scary.  

I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures.

13 comments:

danita said...

too cute! we have this book, so maybe i will try out your craft! thanks!

Amanda said...

ahh! I love it! I think I have a small empty oatmeal box that would work well too!

RedTedArt said...

What a clever and oh so simple idea!!

Maggy
Kids Get Crafty
http://www.redtedart.com

phasejumper said...

Cute! I'm going to do something similar with juice boxes for my son's school party.

Ticia said...

How cute and fun!

We did a similar mummy craft, but on a smaller scale.

Charlene Juliani said...

We just read that book last night (borrowed it from the library). My younger two boys really enjoyed the book, might have to try to make a mummy craft now to go with it.

Really cute idea!!

Miller Moments said...

Have I told you how much I love your blog? :) You are so clever!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Very cute!

Unknown said...

I love craftslike this! Very smart to make a mummy this way. I will bookmark this for our study of Egypt. Looks like a lotof fun. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a very cute book and a great craft for it. My little ones are just starting to enjoy hide and seek too.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

That's what you think about it not being scary :) Anna rejected it by just glancing at the cover. She hates anything related to mummies. But I like your craft - a thought for the time when she gets over her "mummyphobia".

Elle Belles Bows said...

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! The Mummy craft! Thanks for sharing! Kerri

Unknown said...

I love how you reused a cereal box. What a cute craft!