Monday, October 4, 2010

How to Raise a Dinosaur


How to Raise a Dinosaur by Natasha Wing is a fun, lift-the-flap book filled with information about how to care for a pet.  The pet referred to in the book is a dinosaur, but all of the responsibilities can be applied to other pets.  C and R both thought it was funny that they already know how to care for a dinosaur because we have a dog that needs to be walked, fed, and trained. 

The flaps in this book are very unique and clever, and both of my children love the fact that some of the pages have big dinosaur bites taken out of them.  Pablo Bernasconi won us over with his bright and funny illustrations.  This is one of those books that draws you in with a funny cover, great illustrations, and cool flaps and then holds you with fun text.  


All three of us have enjoyed reading this book over and over since we received our copy last week.  We always laugh at the last page, but you will have to get your own copy to find out why - I would hate to spoil the ending. 

When I asked Natasha Wing about the book, she said, "Dinosaurs always scared me because they were so BIG! I'm a bit nervous around any animal bigger than me that's why I stick with dogs, cats and bunnies, No horses, thank you! So this was a fun way for me to imagine if I could tame a dinosaur, but as you can see, dinosaurs don't tame easily!"


We are fans of Natasha Wing's work.  She is the author of The Night Before series of books.  I have written several posts about The Night Before St. Patrick's Day and this year both, The Night Before First Grade and The Night Before the Tooth Fairy were perfect for C. 

To learn more about Natasha Wing, visit her website at www.natashawing.com and check out her blog at www.natashawing.blogspot.com.  If you like her books as much as we do, become a fan of Natasha Wing books on Facebook.

A free copy of How to Raise a Dinosaur was provided in exchange for this review.  Free products never influence my reviews; the opinions are truly my own and those of my children. 

5 comments:

Jenny said...

What a cute book. I like how it has the lift the flaps. Abby loves those!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This definitely sounds like a book Anna will like even though I don't think she would care for a dinosaur pets. Thanks for the review!

Ticia said...

My kids are loving my copy as well. I'm thinking hard about a project to spotlight the book.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great book. We're thinking of a pet for Little J soon, so we'll have to find this book.

MaryAnne said...

I'm not familiar with Natasha Wing's books, but this one sounds very cute, and definitely like something my dinosaur-loving children would enjoy!