Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Two-Faced Jack O' Lantern

My husband placed his empty seltzer bottle on the counter and instead of seeing an empty seltzer bottle, I saw the opportunity to create a jack o' lantern.  I think the green cap helped. 


First, we squeezed a little red paint and a little more yellow paint into the bottle.  Of course, I asked the kids what colors we needed to make orange before we actually got the paint.  I never buy orange or green or purple paint because I like that we have to think about mixing colors to make the colors we want. 


Then we took turns shaking the paint all around the inside of the bottle.  Once the bottle was completely orange on the inside, C and R used a sharpie to draw faces on the bottle. 


We only had one bottle at the time, so we have a two-faced jack o' lantern.  I have to go buy more seltzer!


10 comments:

Amanda said...

Very cute! We made something similar last year with some tiny round bottles I had laying around the house.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

So you've caught the crafty, recycling virus - no box, bottle, or scrap of paper will ever be the same in your house again :)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a fun project! We have tons of those seltzer bottles around here -- great idea!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I was just going to comment on your frugal fun - great idea to recycle those empty bottles. I also liked how R and C shared the bottle.

Ticia said...

The sad part is we never use those bottles, so when I want to do a craft with one of these I have to to hunt them down. Poor me.

I love R's face she drew. Way too cute.

MaryAnne said...

Very cool!

I like to have my kids mix to get colors too, but this week I learned that red and blue gel dyes (the Wilton cakes kind) don't make purple - more of a slate... I don't know why?

Anonymous said...

What a super cute idea!! I am so with you on only buying the primary colors for paint (well I buy white and black as well).

phasejumper said...

Very cute and easy idea! Thanks for posting!

What I Did Today said...

Another great idea! I hope that I can learn to see the potential in objects like this. Or is it something one can only be born with?

Anonymous said...

Cool! I love how they shared. This could be a cute craft with the poem Jack-O-Happy.