Sunday, October 17, 2010

Let's Try it Out in the Air


I recently wrote about how much we enjoyed the book, Let's Try it Out with Towers and Bridges.  We also borrowed Let's Try it Out in the Air from the library.  This book explores how you know air is around you when you can't see it.  Simple experiments show children ways they can observe the presence of air and the pressure it exerts.  

Through several experiments, C and R learned the following concepts:
  • air moves and carries visible objects and invisible particles (smells)
  • air can be captured and used to exert pressure on the inside of an object
  • air can exert pressure upward and reduce the impact of gravity on an object
  • the effectiveness of this upward pressure increases with the surface area of an object and the movement of the air beneath it

We have really enjoyed learning with this series of books.  I really appreciate that the experiments can be performed with objects we have around the house.  There is one more book in the series about water that we hope to try soon.  They are perfect for teaching science concepts to young children.

I am linking this to Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

12 comments:

julia said...

Christy,

I love your blog!!! I can't wait to have kids of my own to try out some of these ideas. :)

It was great to see you and the family yesterday!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Julie

Phyllis said...

These books look really great. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun with it.

Debbie said...

I have to look for these books. Great experiments going on there. Science is so fun when we can find things our kids can really relate to.

Phyllis said...

I am glad you will be following Science Mystery! We also did a spy birthday party you might want to look at for some ideas since you are doing secret agents.
http://homeschooljournal-bergblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/spy-birthday-party.html
It is such a fun topic!

Lynn said...

These look great! I've starred them in my reader.

MaryAnne said...

We've requested all three of these books from the library, and I'm hoping my kids really enjoy them!

Joyful Learner said...

Great ideas! This is a must-try!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

They do look like they're having fun :)

Jenny said...

Very fun!

I just love that wall of cabinets in your kitchen!

Ticia said...

That does look like so much fun. I really must look up that series at some point.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I put this book on request list. We read Air is All Around Us from Let's Read and Found Out series lately, and Anna enjoyed it. We didn't get to do experiments yet though.

Miller Moments said...

Sounds like a great book-definitely going to try and get my hands on a copy.