Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Halloween Lunch


C and R love the different books based on There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.  Currently, we are having fun with the Halloween version featuring an old lady who swallowed a bat.  While I was grocery shopping (convenient timing!), the idea of making a special lunch based on the book popped into my head. 

In the book by Lucille Colandro, the old lady swallows a bat, an owl, a cat, a ghost, a goblin, some bones, and a wizard.  Here is what I made:
  • I used a bat cookie cutter to cut a bat out of bread and then spread Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread on the bat shaped bread.  The red eyes are icing.
  • The owl is a piece of bread cut into an owl shape with peanut butter, white icing, chocolate chips, and a piece of candy corn on top.
  • I do have a cat cookie cutter but decided to just serve cat whiskers (pretzels).
  • The ghost was cut out of bread with a cookie cutter and the bread was topped with plain cream cheese and raisin features.
  • The goblin is a spinach leaf with raisin eyes and a dried cherry mouth.
  • I used my kitchen shears to cut a bone shape out of a marshmallow.
  • For the wizard, I cut a star out of a piece of cheese and placed it on a pretzel stick to make a wand.
R was very pleased with this special lunch and she loved gobbling up each creature as we read the book.  I will have to make this for C soon too.
 

12 comments:

Elle Belles Bows said...

GREAT IDEA! Thanks for sharing! Kerri

Ticia said...

OH! I so need to do this, my kids love that book too.

Your bat project was a big hit, and now we have something to talk around while learning about bats for science.

Jennifer said...

FABULOUS idea!! I like the goblin!!

Kacie said...

I love reading your blog, you have the greatest ideas!! How long have you been homeschooling?? And where do you find the time to do all the fun activities!!? I would love to have your energy! :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I wondered where you found a bone shaped marshmallow - pretty cool!

Jenny said...

Cute! That's great that R actually ate it too. I don't think Abby would have, LOL!

momandkiddo said...

More cute food!

Joyful Learner said...

So much fun and the idea is brilliant!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Haha, I loved the comment asking you how long you've been homeschooling :) This is a great lunch! By the way, by looking at the picture I thought that pretzels are bones, and the white thing is a cat.

Sherri said...

Oh MY Goodness! Are we not on the same page?
I did a Halloween Lunch today...but once again...yours tops mine..100%%!
Love it!
My kids need to come to Boston...FAST! =)

Anonymous said...

So clever! I love how you tied the story to lunch.

The Mom I Want To Be said...

How cute! I just bought this book yesterday :)