Friday, October 15, 2010

Halloween Smoothie


I had a bunch of kale in the fridge so I decided to throw some in the blender to make a smoothie.  I know this might sound crazy, but it really is very good.  My recommendation is to present this to your children as a fun Halloween beverage - green slime, witches' brew, monster shake, etc.  I can't say that this worked in my house.  R drank a little, but C would not even smell it.  I would not even dare present it to the teenager in the house.  Oh well, I think it's delicious.

Here is the recipe:

2 cups kale chopped (remove the vein before chopping)
1 frozen banana (whenever our bananas are turning brown, I stick them in a freezer bag for smoothies)
1 cup milk (whatever you drink; I used coconut milk, but soy or cow or whatever is fine too)
1 tsp maple syrup
You can add other fruit or yogurt if you so desire

Put it all in the blender with ice and enjoy!

This recipe came from Allrecipes.com.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gross! By that I mean, cool...it is a Halloween drink after all. It sounds good and healthy. I find that if you put enough fruit in something you mask the veggie taste they might not like. Apples and pears seem to blend well.

Christy Killoran said...

This morning I added frozen strawberries and it is even better. Yum. You really can't taste the kale. I have done this with baby spinach too. It's all good. How else could you get so many veggies in the morning?

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I'm not sure about kale for breakfast - but it's interesting.

As to the kids...maybe you should try putting a gummy eyeball in the bottom.

Joyful Learner said...

We usually add frozen blueberries, one banana, and baby spinach but the color comes out much darker because of the blueberries. Black potion?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This sounds healthy! I wonder if Anna would drink it - generally she likes smoothies. Or maybe I could even make a popsicle out of it :)

MaryAnne said...

Would you believe I've never TRIED kale? I think it's time to give it a go, and this smoothie sounds delicious.

Lynn said...

I love fruit smoothies (haven't ventured to veggies) - we have frozen raspberries and strawberries and peaches in our freezer for it. But I never knew you could freeze bananas!

Ticia said...

I'm thinking my kids won't be sold on it either. I'm trying to decide if I am.