Sunday, October 10, 2010

Towers and Bridges

I recently borrowed two books from the Let's Try it Out series after seeing one of them on the Almost Unschoolers blog.  The series encourages children to learn about the world around them as they play. 
The first book we read is Let's Try it Out with Towers and Bridges by Seymour Simon and Nicole Fauteux.  The book contains fun activities that encourage young children to use familiar objects found in their homes to make observations about how things work.  While reading the book, C and R built towers of blocks, created solid foundations with clay, and made paper bridges while learning basic science concepts. 


I really like this book, and my kids do too.  C definitely enjoyed it more than R did, but she was happy to play along for a while.  I read through it first and set out everything we would need as we read the book.  Then, we read the book together and conducted each experiment as we got to it.

 

It was fun watching C and R think through how to build a solid foundation and also watching them figure out what type of bridge would hold more action figures. 



The coolest thing is that after we put the book away, C continued to build a castle of blocks and create bridges based upon the information he learned!  That made my day!


I am linking this post to Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

9 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I wish there were more books like that series - they are very engaging.

Ticia said...

So adding that book to my wish list.

And I love it that our kids have the same toys, I was totally recognizing the soldiers he was supporting.

Debbie said...

That book is going on our list of must buy books. I love the concept of having children explore with things in their world.

MaryAnne said...

That book sounds really cool - I think I'll see if our library has a copy. My kids are barely getting old enough to follow along with activities like this.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Sounds like a great series! Hmmm... I wonder if the mini disney dolls would work instead of action figures. :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for reminding me - I have to look for that book. I am curious to see if Anna will enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great book. I love C's extension of the lesson.

Jenny said...

Very neat book, my nephew would love it!

Mandy said...

Never heard of that series but I certainly think it could be a hit around here. :)