Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cleaning Pennies

C and R were sorting coins recently, and I realized how dirty the coins were.  I knew there was a science experiment that involved cleaning pennies so we gave it a whirl.  I found directions at the Science Bob website.

First, C separated the pennies from the other coins in our pile.


Then, R added 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt to our container.  We put five dirty pennies in the container and counted slowly to ten.


Then we placed the pennies in a bowl of water and dried them with a towel.

Our dull, dirty pennies were much shinier after the acid in the vinegar reacted with the salt to remove what chemists call copper oxide which was making the pennies dull.  Our pennies were not perfect and shiny, but they were pretty disgusting before so they shined up quite a bit. 

We also decided to remove a few pennies from the vinegar and NOT rinse them with water.  Instead, we left the vinegar covered pennies on a paper towel and let them sit for a while.  In time the pennies turned greenish-blue as a chemical called malachite formed on the pennies.


Who knew you could have so much fun with vinegar and a few pennies?

5 comments:

Jenny said...

We did that awhile back and it was pretty neat to see the reaction. Abby said it hurt her fingers though.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Yeah, we also enjoyed penny cleaning here. I gave Anna an old toothbrush to rub the pennies, because I didn't want her to touch vinegar solution. She was properly wowed, but we didn't do the malachite part - it's pretty interesting too.

Ticia said...

Someone linked this up on Science Sunday one time, and I found out you can also do this with ketchup. If I get a chance I'll see if I can find the post because it was a long list of things that would make this work, and it was really rather interesting.

I love using vinegar to clean, cheap and it cleans well. Doesn't smell so good though.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

We did it with ketchup once, but the vinegar works better. I love the malachite, that's just awesome!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Beautiful!! I bet they have a bit more luck in them now that they are all nice and shiny! :-)