Saturday, July 17, 2010

Favorite Books of the Week

C and R both think that our flower book mural is fantastic, and they want to read as many books as possible to add more petals to the flowers!  They had a hard time picking favorites for the week, but they decided on four books.

The Flea's Sneeze by Lynn Downey is a fun story about what happened when the animals on an old farm were all sleeping soundly and the flea sneezed.  This is a really cute book full of rhymes, repetition, and great illustrations.  I love the simplicity and overall pleasantness of the illustrations.  I really appreciate that in a book for children.  This book is very similar to The Napping House by Audrey and Don Wood (one of our all time favorite books).


The Good Little Bad Little Pig by Margaret Wise Brown is about a little boy and his pet pig.  Sometimes the pig is bad and sometimes he is good, but in the boy's eyes, he is the best pig.  I love to find a lesson in books that we read, and in this book the lesson to be learned is that no one is perfect.

The Dog Who Cried Wolf by Keiko Kasza is about a dog and the girl who takes care of him.  When the girl reads her dog a book about wolves, the dog thinks being a dog is boring and decides to run away and live like a wolf.  When the real wolves show up, however, the dog has a change of heart.  Again, I loved the illustrations.  This book is also a great way to talk to your kids about the grass being greener on the other side. 

Our favorite book of the week is Little Hoot by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Jen Corace.  All Little Hoot wants is to go to bed at a reasonable hour, like his friends do.  Unfortunately, Mama and Papa Owl insist that Little Hoot has to stay awake so that he will grow up to be a wise owl.  Incredibly sweet illustrations (by a RISD grad!) and a wonderful story that we enjoyed over and over again.  This is one of those books that will be hard to return to the library.

Visit Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns to find out what books other children are enjoying this week.

7 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I think The Dog Who Cried Wolf, would be a big hit here.

Debbie said...

There are a couple books I think would be hits here in our home, I will have to look for them.

Ticia said...

I think Amy Krouse Rosenthal has another one called "Little Pea," that has a similar type of kid problem, and it's so cute.

I'll have to see if I can find The Dog Who Cried Wolf, it would probably be popular here.

Jenny said...

I was just thinking that first book sounded like The Napping House. I love that book and the illustrations.

We've never read any of these.

Goose and Bug said...

I love your books of the week posts. You always choose such good books. I usually order all of them off our library and my girls always love them!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining WMCIR! I really like your selections, we only read the last one and loved it too. I think I am going to add #3 to our next library run :)

Anne said...

I just ordered Little Hoot - it looks great! We also read a story similar to The Flea's Sneeze - but in this one the farmer started it... the title is escaping me. I'm guest-hosting a book link up at my blog this week - hope you'll stop by and share!