Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Kansas

We have finally started our next state of study for our Fifty States Project.  R has been asking to learn about Kansas for a while now because she is a big fan of the movie, The Wizard of Oz.

After locating Kansas on our map of the United States, we read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, A Commemorative Pop-up by L. Frank Baum and Robert Sabuda and Farmer Brown Goes Round and Round by Teri Sloat.   


Farmer Brown Goes Round and Round is a cute book about a farmer and his animals getting caught in a tornado.  When they drop back to earth, pigs are mooing, goats are meowing, and Farmer Brown is cock-a-doodle-dooing.  C and R both thought this book was very funny.

I thought it would be fun to create a mini tornado in a jar.  C and R were both completely unimpressed with this experiment.  I hope our other Kansas projects are more successful.

3 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I thought that the experiment was rather cool! How interesting that R loves Wizard of Oz. It was one movie that Anna watched and then she was talking for months about the death of a witch. One day she saw a BluRay of Wizard of Oz on my desk and asked me why we have this movie when we already have one. I said, "Well, this one will have a better quality". She replied, "Oh, you mean without a witch?"

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Glad to hear my kids aren't the only ones who are sometimes hard to impress. :) Looking forward to seeing what you learn about Kansas... My friend just moved there!

Jenny said...

LOL about them being unimpressed with the mini tornado!

I never did like The Wizard of Oz, it scared me!