Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Family Hike


On Sunday morning, the entire family hiked the Blue Hills.  This is a place we visit several times a year to go hiking together.  The trails are very rocky and there are a few places where you just have to bear crawl or at least use your hands.  The kids do a great job.



This is the view of Boston from the very top of the Great Blue Hill.

R spotted this snake; she was very proud to have noticed him because he was not easily spotted.  He did a great job posing for a few photos.
This was a fantastic hike.  Everyone worked hard, and it was R's first time climbing all the way up and down without being carried at all.  We are very proud of her.  T did a great job navigating and setting the pace.  C has been a natural hiker from a young age; he loves to be out in the woods, and he is excellent at bear crawling in steep areas.  Kelly always has a great time hiking with us, and I love the way she constantly runs from the front of our group to the back to make sure everyone is okay.  She is such a good dog.  I enjoy watching my children hike, but I am far from talented in this area (my husband is an excellent hiker and even enjoys trail running!).  I enjoy hiking because it is a great family activity and gives my children an opportunity to spend some time in the woods!

10 comments:

danita said...

i always think i'm going to enjoy hiking, but then when i get there, i regret it! it does look beautiful though! is it hot up there? it's so hot here that we've really only been going out after dinner. ugh.

Christy Killoran said...

@danita: It was SO hot! We began our hike at 8 AM, but we were all sweating the whole time. That is why there are no pictures of me - I am all sweaty in the pics!

Amy said...

I'm getting super mad at this blogger comment page. It keeps giving me an error! So if this is my third comment, feel free to delete the rest :).
What I was TRYING to say was.. we love hiking in the fall! It's over 100 degrees here. However, we went on a fun hike where the end was hot spring tubs and a cold waterfall... so we brought our swimsuits and cooled off. My kids loved it.

Sherri said...

This is awesome, I will have to connect with you when we come out to Boston this Fall! =)

Ticia said...

That looks like an awesome hike! And it was great to see T as well.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a beautiful hike and a fun family time!

Jenny said...

I used to be the hiking type, but the unknowns scare me: snakes, spiders, ticks, etc, etc.

It looks like a fun hike though!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This looks like an awesome hike! Sorry it was hot - I always end up wishing for a pool on the other side of the mountain :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I'm not so sure about the snake, but what a great view to be rewarded with from the top!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

We LOVE hiking together as a family. I wish our heat wave would break so we can do it again!