Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Sunflower State

Kansas is the sunflower state.  (Snow White appears to be having a crazy reaction to the sunflower seeds in this photo; her eyes are about to pop out of her head!)  We had this "Grow Your Own Sunflower Kit" so we decided to try it out while we are studying Kansas.  I hope the seeds will grow, but I have no idea how long this kit has been sitting around so we will see what happens. 

Before planting the seeds, we compared the sunflower seeds we were snacking on to the sunflower seeds we planted.


We also read Big Yellow Sunflower by Frances Barry and This is the Sunflower by Lola M. Schaefer.

A sunflower craft seemed necessary, so C and R scrunched yellow, brown, and green tissue paper and glued it to the sunflower outlines I drew for them.
If our sunflowers don't grow, we will at least have pretty tissue paper sunflowers!

8 comments:

Jen said...

My oldest daughter eyes always look like that in photos- she's my goofy one! The sunflower craft turned out great- isn't tissue paper awesome. Enjoy your Saturday!

Jen

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I love your sunflowers! I hope your kit works out. We have sunflowers popping up all over our yard, seeded from the ones I had growing around our fence, last year - so, they must be pretty easy to grow :)

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great sunflowers! they do love tissue art! i need to do scrunch tissue art with my girls and soon :)

Hope your sunflowers grow we LOVE sunflowers here and plant them every year!!

DairyQueen said...

what fun!! There are several sunflower fields in our county (they use them for dove shoots when the sunflowers die and the doves come for the seeds). Right now they are in full bloom and BEAUTIFUL!

Rebecca said...

You do such fun things for their state studies :)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

PS: Have you ever driven through Kansas?? It seriously earns the nickname "The Sunflower State". Miles, and miles, and miles of sunflowers... insane!!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I have faith in your sunflower kit! Emily managed to grow a HUGE sunflower in a teeny tiny pot last Summer, so I'm sure yours will do just fine! I love the tissue paper sunflowers -- so cute!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love R in this picture, and I hope your sunflowers won't fail. This is also a very pretty art project - it's great that both kids were into it.