Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sand Play Dough


R had a friend over one day this week, so we decided to try something new; we made a batch of sand play dough.  Here is the recipe we used:

1 cup sand
1/2 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup water
Mix ingredients in saucepan and cook until thick. Allow to cool, knead and allow to harden enough for use.

I gave them each an umbrella toothpick, some seashells, and a few marbles.  C added one of his dinosaurs.


I really like the texture of this play dough, and the kids had a lot of fun playing with it.  I made a second batch because I didn't think they each had enough dough, but they were content with what they had and never ended up touching the second batch!  I'm going to seal it up in a ziploc bag and hope it stores well.

6 comments:

Deborah Stewart said...

I have never thought about making sand play dough. I like the idea of using it with seashells and the umbrellas!

Ticia said...

How cool. This could be a way to use up some of that jar of colored sand I bought.

MommyTeacher123 said...

Very,very cool.We need to make this!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love the simple recipe and the creations that transpired! Those umbrella toothpicks are perfect for the beach theme.

Amanda Morgan said...

I use a very similar recipe to make "fossils" with dinosaurs inside. It hardens and can easily be chipped away by those preschool paleontologists!
http://notjustcute.com/2009/02/18/preschool-paleontologists-digging-for-dinosaur-bones/

www.notjustcute.com

Miller Moments said...

One word: AWESOME! :)