Saturday, July 3, 2010

What My Children are Reading


C and I finished reading two chapter books this week.  We read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl and Catwings by Ursula K. LeGuin.  Everyone knows the story of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but if you have not read Catwings, I recommend it.  The book is only four chapters long, and it is about four cats that were born with wings and the adventures that they have.  There are several books in the series and we are looking forward to reading the next one.

C and R also enjoyed a few books about castles, knights, and princesses this week.


We read quite a few stories from the Usborne Stories of Knights and Castles by Anna Milbourne.  R was not very interested in most of the stories because she is really a bit young for them, but they were perfect for C.  He enjoyed all of the stories we read, and is looking forward to finishing the book over the next few days.

He is also a fan of the Good Knight books by Shelley Moore Thomas.  This week, we read Happy Birthday, Good Knight.  In this book, the Good Knight has three little dragon friends who need a birthday present for someone special.  It is a funny read!

In the Castle by Anna Milbourne and Benji Davies follows the adventures of a little boy who longs to be a knight.  R liked this book, but C loved it!  Click here to read about our book project featuring this book.


R's favorite book of the week is Princess Says Goodnight by Naomi Howland.  A little girl, pretending to be a princess, gets ready for bed.  R loves this book because there is curtsying, a bubble bath, glass slippers, and more fancy things that R considers wonderful mentioned within the  book!  She loves anything and everything girly and fancy.

The last book I am going to mention here is The Real Princess, A Mathemagical Tale by Brenda Williams and Sophie Fatus.  I saw this book mentioned recently on the Almost Unschoolers blog.  This is a cute book about a king and queen with three sons who are looking for princesses to marry.  The queen has a secret way to determine whether the women are real princesses.  It is the classic story of The Princess and the Pea with a bit of a twist.  Along the way, there are a lot of numbers and many opportunities for math fun.  I wondered if this book would be too advanced for C and R, but it is really a fun read for any age.  I used the book to have C do simple math problems, and as an opportunity for R to count.  They both loved this book!

 
Visit Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns to find out what other children are reading!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I picked up a Roald Dahl box set at Costco this week. I can't wait to share it with my son.

We haven't read much about Knight's, we'll have to give that a try.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I've never heard of Catwings, but we're looking for a good read aloud right now, so we'll have to check it out :)

Jen said...

We loved reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- I posted some fun activities last year when we were reading it. http://raisingcreativeandcuriouskids.blogspot.com/2009/06/chocolate-and-books.html
We'll have to check out Catwings- never heard of that one.

Jen :)

Ticia said...

Now, will I remember the name of Catwings when I get home and I'm trying to find it? I have a friend who is crazy for cats, and would love this.

I have yet to get any of the _______ Knight series, they're always checked out here.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining WMCIR! I always loved Ursula LeGuin stories - I have to check out Catwings. And I saw the Mathematical Tale in the library, but wasn't thrilled with illustrations. Perhaps I will try it now after your glowing review :)

Karen Wilson said...

What is T reading?

Anne said...

I've already put a hold on A Real Princess at our library - looking forward to it! Have you seen Ms. Frizzle's Adventure in the Medieval Castle? Like the Magic School Bus series but a little more grown up.