Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Flower Power Summer Reading

This summer we are tracking all of the books we read.  This is not the first year we have tracked our summer reading, but it is the first year that we created a special reading mural. 


I gave C and R a large sheet of brown craft paper that I cut from a roll we have.  They mixed yellow and blue paint and covered the entire paper.  They had fun experimenting with rollers, bath poofs, sponges, and paintbrushes to cover the paper. 


We cut green strips and yellow circles out of construction paper and taped them to the "meadow" once the paint dried.

I cut petal shapes out of different colored construction paper.  Every time we read a book this summer, we will write the title on a petal and tape it to our mural to create flowers.  I am so happy that I did this because C and R get very excited every time we add a petal, and they ask to read more books!  This is also great writing practice for C because he loves to write new titles on the petals! 


I am sure we will have to expand our mural before the summer is over.  I am thinking of adding leaves, butterflies, bugs, etc. with book titles after we fill up all of the flowers.  We'll see!  Whatever we do, I know we will be proud of the final results!

10 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that turned out great! can't wait to see the garden when they are all done :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Excellent idea!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a neat idea! I wish we had an empty wall to fit such a mural, because I am sure it's going to be huge both in your house and in mine.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Very cute! Gotta love pride in reading!

Jenny said...

That's awesome!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

How fantastic! It looks great, and the kids must be sooo proud! :-)

Jen said...

Fun idea! What a creative way to track your reading.

Jen

ps Don't worry about the postcard-things happen- I'm the queen of losing things!(husbands are good for that, too) Anyway- looking forward to getting it.

Tiff said...

Love this idea! I (and the kids) were starting to lose interest in the book list through Barnes & Noble & Half Price Books. This idea sounds way more fun to be able to add some decor to the picture and it would keep my kids excited about reading every book! Hmmmm, might have to consider doing something like this now. ;)

Ticia said...

I could have sworn I got up to date on your posts yesterday, but now I have 3 again. Oh well. Love the flowers, I think that's going to be such a fun thing to do.

April said...

Very cute idea...I might have to come up with something similar!