Saturday, July 31, 2010

Favorite Books of the Week

We have enjoyed so many good books this week.  I have so much trouble writing these posts because I would love to feature all of the books we read, but that might be the longest post ever and no one would read it!  So, here are just a few of our favorite books from this week:

Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina is one of our favorite books and we had a lot of fun playing and learning with it this week.  I still have one more post to finish about our Caps for Sale snacks!  Just in case you are unaware, the book is about a peddler who falls asleep against a tree with his wares (caps) on his head.  He wakes up to find his caps missing and realizes they have been taken by monkeys.  C and R love the monkey see-monkey do humor in the book!

We read some great ocean/beach themed books for our coffee shop story hour.  The book that C and R enjoyed most from the bunch is Ladybug Girl at the Beach by David Soman and Jacky Davis.  C and R always enjoy the adventures of Ladybug Girl.  In this book, she goes to the beach for the first time and is frightened by the vastness and noisiness of the ocean.  This is my favorite of the Ladybug Girl books.

C and R both adored all three of the books in The Paper Princess series, but their favorite of the three is the original.  The Paper Princess by Elisa Kleven is a sweet story about a paper doll created by a young girl, and the journey taken by that paper doll. 

Finally, we read Yes Day! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal.  Once a year, the main character enjoys a day when the answer to every question and request is "YES!".  You can imagine the fun he has!  C and R are both pleading for their very own "Yes Day".  I'm considering it, but I'm nervous, very nervous.

I am linking this post to What My Child Is Reading at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.  Hop on over there to find out what other children are reading!

4 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I can just imagine the things my children would ask for on a "yes" day!

Miller Moments said...

I remember reading Caps for Sale when I was a kid and it's been such fun to read it now to my own children. Looking forward to seeing more of CFS snack idea.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Thanks for joining WMCIR! I agree with you - it's hard to pick just a few books. Strangely, Anna didn't warm up to Ladybug series, and I am not sure why. Maybe because Lulu has a lot of ups and downs and sometimes teased by her big brother. I have to look for Paper Princess, it looks lovely - adding it to my Evernote list :)

Ticia said...

I really need to find the Lady Bug books, each time you talk about them I keep thinking I need to do that.