Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Caps for Sale - Day 2

We are currently enjoying Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina.  Day 1 with this book involved reading and retelling the story in various ways.  On day 2, we did some book related learning.


I found a great printable that has a page from the book and asks how many of several different things are on the page.  I also used this printable to reinforce the new vocabulary words.  For example, they had to answer how many peddlers are on the page, so we talked about what a peddler is and what the peddler in the book is selling.


You don't really need the printable because you could just open to the page in the book and ask the child to count specific things, but I thought it was something my kids would enjoy so I printed it. 


We also played Monkey Math.  The banana pieces are weighted so I would have R pick a number and place the correct banana piece on one side of the monkey.  C then had to find two banana pieces to equal the number R selected.  Once both sides were full, we worked on subtraction by removing equal numbers on both sides. 

In the book, the peddler is selling his caps for fifty cents each.  I figured this was a great opportunity for a coin review.

We named each of the coins and then talked about different ways to make fifty cents.  Then, the three of us sat together and figured out how much money the peddler would have if he sold all sixteen of his caps.


Finally, we figured out how much money we had and how many caps we could buy with that money.
I plan on spending some more time on coin identification and addition this summer.

Stay tuned for Day 3 of our Caps for Sale fun!

6 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

That's working into a very nice unit study.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a fun way to learn math! We are enjoying Caps for Sale too!!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love your money extensions - like counting coins and calculating totals - very clever idea.

Ticia said...

I love the caps! The glitter glue on them is great.

Okay, and the activities, awesome! I agree you could just use the page, but it is so much better to get their own page. Kids love that.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I'm going to have to check out that book - just ran across it today on a reading list for my daughter's school.

Anonymous said...

Great learning ideas for this book! I love the idea of using it to teach counting coins.