Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Giraffes


I enjoy reading Shel Silverstein books with my children, and this book has had us laughing out loud since we found it at the library a few days ago.  The repetition and rhyme in A Giraffe and a Half make it perfect for young children.  

The giraffe is my favorite animal.  I think giraffes are beautiful.  Last week, I found out about OneMillionGiraffes.com; this is simply an effort by one person to collect one million giraffes made or created by people (no store bought giraffes or photographs of live giraffes).  I decided that it would be fun to contribute two giraffes made in our house.

This is how we made the giraffes:


First, paint your child's hand yellow place it on paper.  The four fingers will become legs, and the thumb will be the tail of the giraffe.


Next, paint the side of your child's hand yellow and place it on the paper to create the neck.

The head is a thumb print.


Finger paint brown spots on the giraffe and then add details with marker or crayon.

Here is the giraffe that R made:

C made this giraffe:

6 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

great giraffe! if you want to showcase it link up to mommy's little artist .

Jen said...

Is that a poetry book? I have one of his poetry books that i love. The giraffes are cute. I love watching them at our zoo, maybe because they are such unique animals. Our zoo is very open for them to roam.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Maybe I should look beyond the "Giving Tree" which I strongly dislike and read some other works by Silverstein. We even have his books at home, but I couldn't bring myself to read them. I think your giraffes turned out awesome!

Ticia said...

Oh maybe we'll give this a try. Superman is nuts for giraffes. That was the first thing he wanted to see when we went to the zoo.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

I love this post for so many reasons!! We love Shel Silverstein books too, LOVE the giraffe paintings, AND the million giraffe project is soooo neat!!! :-)

Amy said...

What a cute craft as always! We love this book, as well.