Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Simon Says Art

Earlier this week, I read about Simon Says Art on The Artful Parent.  When R was at a friend's house playing, C and I decided to try it together.  I put paper on the easel and C began drawing first.  He used oil pastels.  I gave him different things to do; here are a few examples:

Simon Says:  draw six circles, draw four lines, color in one circle, draw something scary, color until I clap my hands, draw something red, etc.


After a while, he wanted to be Simon and I sat down at the easel and did some drawing myself. 

When we were done playing, we painted over the oil pastel drawings with watercolors.

We had a lot of fun doing this, and it was a great way for the two of us to spend some time together. 

Here is C's watercolor resist Simon Says art:

This is my artwork:
I can't wait to try this again and I plan to change it up a bit each time we try it. 

8 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I really like the game/art combo!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a great idea, but I so expect my daughter to say, "why?" and the next question will be, "But who won?" I really liked the art you two made!

Ticia said...

that looks really fun, I wonder how my kids would react. I think two out of three might like it, but Batman...... He hates being told what to do for art projects.

Goat Gal said...

Fantastic idea! I totally want to try this!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a great idea! When the weather gets a bit nicer, I think we will try this in the driveway with some sidewalk chalk. :-)

Sherri said...

I saw this yesterday too..and fell in LOVE! I can't wait to play it with my kiddos! Too much fun! Your kids did a great job!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I particularly like your "something scary"!

Rebecca said...

This is such an amazing idea! Great keepsakes too! Im going to try this with connor sometime. Ill of course link back to you.