Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hamburgers!


We are celebrating C's sixth birthday with friends and family today.  Last week, we went to our friend Sydney's birthday party and her aunt Christine and cousin Jessica made some very cool hamburger cookies.  I knew I had to make them for C's party.  Aren't they adorable?  This is how I did it:
  1. I used Nilla wafers for the buns.  Place all of your bottom buns on a tray and put a drop of frosting on each to hold the "burgers" in place.
  2. The burgers are actually Keebler Grasshopper cookies.  I thought Keebler made a caramel filled chocolate cookie and was looking for that because I thought the flavor would go better with the Nilla wafers but I couldn't find anything like that.  I also bought fudge covered Oreo cookies to try but they were too big for the Nilla Wafers.  I swear Nilla Wafers used to be bigger than they are today.
  3. I mixed some vanilla frosting with yellow food coloring and spread some on the "burgers" to look like cheese or mustard.
  4. I used red writing icing to drip like ketchup.
  5. A few drops of green food coloring mixed with coconut makes the lettuce, and I just put a tiny bit on each "burger".  
  6. Nilla wafers then go on top to make the top part of the bun.
  7. Finally, I painted on a little Karo syrup and sprinkled on sesame seeds. 
C and R mixed the toppings and placed the "burgers" on the buns.  I did the rest.  I have to admit that I don't really think the cookies taste that great.  The mint chocolate and Nilla Wafer combination doesn't really work for me.  BUT, they are the cutest cookies ever and the kids seem to think they taste great.  C is very excited to have them for his party.  Thank you Christine and Jessica! 

11 comments:

Amy said...

Those look yummy to me! I have to admit, I haven't bought Nilla wafers in over 10 years. I literally can't have them in the house. I have no control when It comes to nilla wafers :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Those really turned out cute! We've made Bakerella's cupcake/brownie version before - but yours sound so quick, and easy - and they really look like burgers - I love it :)

DairyQueen said...

Those are SOOO cute!!

Happy Birthday to Collin!!

Sandy said...

They are adorable!

Teacher Tom said...

They look so much like real burgers, that I clicked over expecting to read a story about a hamburger party. Works of art! I will be a pity to eat them . . . =)

Amanda said...

Oh my! So absolutely adorable!

Ticia said...

Those look so real. I'd be with you on the flavor combinations, but my kids would probably agree with yours.

Anonymous said...

They are so cute! I didn't realize they were cookies until I started reading and I would have never guessed vanilla wafer and all the other ingredients. Our boys really are close in age! Little J will be 6 on the 17th. Happy birthday C.

Cindy said...

These are super cute. They look so real!

Jenny said...

Those are so cute, but I don't think they'd taste good either. Good job making them, they look like real burgers!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

They totally look like burgers. Probably not something that I would attempt, but really fun to see :)