Monday, August 16, 2010

Upstate NY - day one

We just returned from a visit to upstate NY to see my sister and brother-in-law.  We always have a great time when we are there; C and R both rank the trip right up there with Disney World.  Here are some of the highlights from our trip:

This is the view from our deck right before we left the house to head for the airport.


Color Wonder story stampers kept C and R entertained while we waited for our flight.  They used these quite a bit during the trip.  I love that they can use a stamp pad that won't make a mess when we are on the go.



Soon after we arrived in NY, we fed salmon and trout at a fish hatchery.  C and R screamed with excitement every time the fish jumped up to catch the food.  T looks thrilled to be at the fish hatchery, doesn't he?



We wondered how the fish don't get overfed at the hatchery.  I have to see if I can find the answer.

C and R also enjoyed feeding the ducks on the Erie Canal.  I love the way you can see the duck food flying through the air in this photo:



Look at the little ducklings behind C.  They were so cute.

Here are a few more Erie Canal photos:

I am very happy that C and R did not fall into the Erie Canal.  I was convinced they were going to step right off that dock into the deep water because they did not realize that the water immediately to the left of those rocks is very deep!  

T with Auntie Karen

Originally, I was going to write one post about everything we did in New York, but we did so much that I decided to break it up a little.  Stay tuned.

9 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

How neat to see the canal! Now, I've got that kid's song in my head though - "I've got a mule, her name is Sal, 15 miles on the Erie Canal..."

Ticia said...

I'm glad you broke it up a little.

What a gorgeous view, and what a great chance to see the hatchery. I'm probably misremembering but I've noticed at our local ponds they don't eat if they're not hungry.

Jenny said...

Ok, I was afraid they were going to fall in too, just looking at the pics!

They look like they had a great time though!

Julie said...

How fun! My inlaws live about an hour from Erie but I never thought to take the kids there. We may have to go for a visit next time we're up there.

Rebecca said...

I LOVE that you were right near where i live! The Erie Canal is always fun :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It looks like such a great trip to end summer with. I always enjoyed visiting Upstate NY when I lived in New York - hopefully we will go there on vacation one day too.

Michelle said...

IT looks like you had a great time...I can't wait to see what else you guys were up to :0)

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Looks like a great start to the trip! Isn't color wonder wonderful? I just wish it was less expensive. Someone needs to figure out a homemade version. I vote you. ;)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Looks like a great trip, Christy! We have a fish hatchery right around the corner practically, and my girls love going there. Looks like your kiddos had a great time!