Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Paper Princess


I love The Paper Princess books.  They are so sweet.  Honestly, any book or movie that features toys that come to life when they are loved by children, hits me right in the heart.  The Paper Princess books are about a paper doll that was created by a little girl.  In each of the three books, she goes on a different adventure when the wind lifts her into the air and she ends up in a new place.  I love all of the books, but my personal favorite is the second book, The Paper Princess Finds Her Way, where she is carried by Monarch butterflies as they migrate to Mexico.  C loves the third book because the paper princess has a dog in that book, and R cannot decide between the first and the second book and sometimes the third book.  Let's just say that we love the series! 

I knew we were going to make paper dolls after reading these books.  Lynn from Chronicle of an Infant Bibliophile told me about Creatology Paper Shapes and I found some in the shape of boys and girls at Michael's.  C created a boy and R created a girl.  The paper shapes certainly aren't necessary to make paper dolls, but they helped to provide inspiration for my children.  I gave them the doll shapes, some yarn, sequins, buttons, construction paper clothes that I cut out for them, googly eyes, glue, and markers.


R named her paper doll "Abby"; C just calls his "C". 



Thank you to Christianne from Little Page Turners for writing about The Paper Princess in a blog post.  Her daughter, E, made a beautiful paper princess a few weeks ago.

I am linking this post to stArt (story + art = a great start) at A Mommy's Adventures.

7 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We have some of those paper shapes at home, and I was just planning the project with them for the next week StArt. I really love how your paper dolls turned out, and I really have to look for the books.

Ticia said...

Oh my those turned out so cute! I agree with you. You may not need a cut out to create a paper doll, but it provides a jumping off point that the kids work from better.

My boys name everything after themselves. Princess names everything Bolt.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Very CUTE!! Emily loves The Paper Princess, and I think this would be a big hit with her!

Amy said...

We just checked this book out from the library yesterday, and were excited to read it. A great project to go along, as well.

Jen said...

I love finding new books to read! I'll add these to our to read list. My girls are starting to get into chapt. books, but they still love sitting down with Momma to read a good picture book. This looks like one my 6 year old will adore. Thanks for posting.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

How'd I miss that there were two sequels? And I LOVE monarch butterflies. We'll have to make another trip to the library soon. Thanks again for the shout-out!

Michelle said...

I've not heard of this series! Can't wait to check it out. We're starting to get into Chapter books so I've got an ever growing list to check out. My two are 5 (boy) and 3 (girl)