Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Marbled Paper Birthday Cards


Do you remember when C and R were playing with shaving cream and food coloring?  They had a lot of fun with that.  The shaving cream was so pretty that we decided to save some of it in the form of art.

It's super easy to do, and you can use the finished product as a birthday card (well, that's what we did).  First fill a tray with foamy shaving cream. I buy trays like the one in this picture from Dollar Tree (I should be compensated for all the times I mention that place in my blog!) and we use them for all sorts of craft projects.  Most of the time, I just rinse out the tray and use it again for a different project; they are very durable, just label them with a Sharpie so that you don't accidentally use them for food later.


Add some food coloring and get your hands in there swirling it all together.


When you get a design that you like, take a piece of white card stock or poster board and press it down on the shaving cream.  Lift the paper off carefully.  You can then either leave the shaving cream as is on the card stock or you can swirl it around a bit more to make it look the way you want it to look.  When satisfied, leave the shaving cream on the paper to dry.  This is what our paper looked like as it was drying:

When it was dry, I just brushed off the dried up shaving cream and this is the final result:

It takes a long time to dry, but when it is done, you have beautiful paper that you can fold in half and use as a card!  We had two birthday parties over the weekend and the birthday girls each received one of our homemade cards.

8 comments:

momandkiddo said...

We've done this fun project, too. I was just considering posting it as a friday do-over, but maybe I'll wait a bit, now. It's great to give homemade cards.

Anonymous said...

They turned out really pretty. I'll have to remember this activity. It looks like a good one to do outside near the kiddie pool!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

The end result is really lovely. I'll have to remember this one :)

Ticia said...

And I bet they'll love their cards.

I know what you mean about Dollar Tree, there's some stores I feel like I'm constantly mentioning them or places, and I should get paid.

The Fambros said...

Oh we've done this with the Children's Museum before and its beautiful! For almost instant drying take a window squeegee and pull it across removing all the excess cream. In about 5 min its completely dried

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Awesome - makes me want to visit that place you mention so often and look for some cheap shaving cream. My husband doesn't use it, so it's not a staple in the house. I liked how pretty it looked with all the food coloring in it.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

So pretty!! Marbled paper is so much fun!!

Michelle said...

I have been wanting to try this...maybe it will be an art group project for this Friday!!! Your papers look so pretty :0)