Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Why are the same toys more interesting in a different place?

I recently published two posts about our trip to the Ocean Explorium.  I just have one more thing to say about our trip.  I thought it was hysterical that all three kids (C, R, and their friend, A) kept revisiting the play room.   
What brought them to the play room?

This sink/water table kept them busy for a while, a long while.  They did not want to leave the water table.

They also loved this puppet theater:


I thought it was funny that they wanted to spend so much time in this play area when there were marine animals to look at and touch in the other room.  We have water at home, right?  AND, we have the same exact puppets at home too and the puppets are never touched, ever.  I actually thought about giving them away.  We don't have a puppet theater, so maybe that was the attraction.  I guess I should make one.  It looks to me like you just cut a hole in a box and decorate it.  I think I can do that, maybe.

4 comments:

JustBecauseIFELTLikeIt said...

I find that equally hilarious! Recently, because we are moving, I have been going through some of their "hundreds" of toys. Trying to sort through and put some in a yard sale I was confronted by all 3 of my children that the toys I chose were their favorite toys. LOL, really?? that is why I havent seen them play with them since..... I bought them practically! Anyhow, long story short, I made a point of leaving out only a few of those toys and packing up the others, and whoa and behold, they are actually playing with them! So perhaps those Mothers that "cycle" their kids toys, have something on us! My kids have access to all of their toys all the time, and it must just be too stimulating along with all of the activities and crafts we do. So something definitely for me to consider when I am unpacking in our new abode!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

We had some of the same experience - Anna never plays with puzzles at home, yet she was interested in putting together a puzzle when we went to the Aquarium. Sometimes I think that maybe it's because they suddenly see something familiar and it gives their minds a chance to switch and rest a bit.
We made a puppet theater in the past - here is the link to my old post if you are interested: http://learningwithmouse.blogspot.com/2009/06/making-of-theater.html

Ticia said...

that amuses me as well. It's amazing to me how the same thing at home has little attraction, but put it in a different setting, and it's wildly popular.

Brimful Curiosities said...

That shark puppet is really neat! I know, I love how my kids will play with toys at a friends house and then when they come home, they won't touch the toy even if we own it. Must be the change of environment.