Thursday, August 26, 2010

Homemade Play Dough Cookies


C and R really enjoyed Mmm, Cookies! by Robert Munsch.  In this book, the main character makes play dough cookies and tricks his parents into eating them.  The parents warn his teacher and she knows exactly what to do!

After reading this book, we had to make play dough cookies, of course.  I used red and blue food coloring and almond extract in my homemade play dough.  C and R decorated the "cookies" with sequins.

They begged me to REALLY eat the cookies, but I was only willing to pretend!


The play dough recipe I use is:
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
1 T. cooking oil
1 T. cream of tartar
1 c. water
1 t. extract (this varies on the season or whatever I have on hand, but I have used peppermint, vanilla, lemon, coconut, almond, and maple); you can also use spices (I like to use pumpkin pie spice in the fall)
1 t. glitter (optional)
food coloring (optional)

I measure the ingredients into a nonstick pot and stir until well mixed.  Then I cook it over medium heat until the dough pulls away from the sides and forms a ball.  I dump it out onto a cutting board and once it is cool enough to touch, I knead it until smooth.



 I am linking this post to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures.  Hop on over there for more fun book projects!

13 comments:

danita said...

cute! we've been doing some therapeutic playdates involving playdoh over here and i think i will try your cookie bakery idea next!

Amanda said...

How fun! We are planning on breaking out the play doh today too!

Michelle said...

What a great project!! I love making homemade play dough too, I was just thinking about using coconut extract since I found it when I was organizing my spice drawer. The book looks really cute too. Thank you for linking up to stART!!!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Just so they didn't try to feed their cookies to T :)

Ticia said...

I have a recipe for actual playdough cookies. It uses cream cheese in the dough, so the consistency is a lot like playdough. I'll try to remember to find it and email it to you. When you're all done molding you can bake it.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I should get out my cookie cutters for my kids to use with their play dough. Great idea!

Debbie said...

We love playing with Play dough. I love their cookies!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Great idea to use a roller with the dough! I'll have to pick one up next time I'm in the paint store.

Anonymous said...

For a minute there I thought you were going to make two ENOURMOUS cookies, then remembered that they are playdough! We love playdough!!!

Maggy

Miller Moments said...

What a great activity! I may have to work that into one of our days next week since we are learning letter C.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

They look almost good enough to eat! (though I can understand why you would only be willing to pretend.) Looks like they had a lot of fun with this one!

Unknown said...

Pretend cookies are such a great idea. I would have to watch JDaniel to make sure he didn't eat one.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It looks like a lot of fun starting with a book, mixing some science in the kitchen and ending with art. I still want to try homemade tartar playdoh one of these days. R's cookies are so very girly :)