Friday, August 14, 2009

Argh matey


It sounded like a great idea...a pirate cruise! Doesn't that sound cool? I had visions of fully costumed pirates on a boat with treasure and maybe some acting and a few pranks. Look at C, all geared up for a pirate adventure. He was ready to play the part.

There was a boat, and a little treasure, but I was not even close with my imagined details of pirate life.

C, R, and I joined a family of five on a boat, a very little boat that was driven by a man in ordinary clothing. Where were the pirates, I wondered.

C and R were given life jackets and goggles. I understood the life jackets but what on earth were the goggles for? C wanted to wear his so I let him, and I just held R's at first. C shot water out of this cool cannon for a few minutes,


but R could not move in her life jacket so she just sat completely still the entire time.

C was enjoying the boat ride and firing the cannon UNTIL a man (also in ordinary clothing, not even an eye patch or a bandanna!) in a little boat near us started firing salt water at us nonstop. I quickly put the goggles on R; have you ever had salt water in your eyes?

C and R just wanted it to be over, but this went on for thirty-five minutes. When we finally returned to the dock, the man that was driving our boat gave us some "gold" coins. You win some, you lose some. This experience has to go in the loser pile.

10 comments:

Susana said...

OH MY GOSH--you've got to be kidding me. I was so awaiting this post to see what kind of cool adventure you guys had today! I have to say, I laughed the entire time I read this--you wrote this to perfection.

I do feel really bad for the kids and can only imagine how you all felt--you gotta wonder what were these people thinking?!

danita said...

oops! you're lucky you didn't get on the one i saw here in baltimore--it looked like mainly a bunch of drunks. but there were people in pirate costumes!

Chic Mama said...

How disappointing! I hope it wasn't too expensive! They shouldn't advertise it as a pirate adventure if it's not- maybe a boat water battle or something, but pirates? Bummer!

Jenny said...

That is really crazy! I did have to laugh at the way you described it and the sad little picture of R and her life vest up to her eyeballs!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

That SUX! POOR R! SHe looked miserable! (but seriously funny- I was laughing out loud at her pics)
I can't believe they didn't deck it out! It would have been so EASY!
I'm sorry it was a bummer!

Annette W. said...

How disappointing! Sorry to hear that.

momandkiddo said...

This is hilarious. Love the life vest photos!

Karen Wilson said...

This sounds so awful but I have to admit Mark and I were cracking up reading about it. And now Mark has decided he is going to start a pirate cruise on the Erie Canal with his parents' canoe!

Ticia said...

Oooohhhhhhh, that's no fun. And poor R in that big huge life jacket.
Man, they sure don't plan well. Can you imagine how many poor people sign up for that, and get disapointed? Can you give us the exact name of the place, so I know never to go there?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Gosh, I'd have asked for my money back! But at least C seemed to have fun.