Friday, August 28, 2009

Open ended art - Crayons

Photobucket


The Open Ended Art Project of the week is to create something with crayons. I happen to love crayons, but C and R never choose crayons when they are creating art; they both prefer markers and paint. I knew this would be a challenge.

Plan A: I placed some coins and paper clips on the table and taped a piece of paper over them. C and R were given crayons to create a rubbing of the items. R was not in the mood to color. C did a little of this but quickly tired and decided it was not fun.
Here is what he accomplished:

Plan B: I decided to use masking tape to make an R and a C on paper and then have them color over the letters. I would remove the tape to reveal the letter. No luck with this one. C did not even want to try it, and R only made a few squiggles on the paper. What was I thinking? Neither one of them would ever color that much of the page.

Plan C: I was beginning to think this project would never succeed, but I was willing to try one more time. We recently made sun catcher butterflies with crayon shavings and they enjoyed that project, so I decided to do it again and let them make the design however they wanted. C and R were happy to use crayon shavings to make an open ended project. I let them choose the colors and place them wherever they wanted on wax paper. I then placed another piece of wax paper on top, placed the crayon filled paper between two towels, and ironed until the crayon melted. Finally, a completed project and they were both very happy with the results.

This is the design R made.
C made this red and blue (his favorite colors) creation. He had every intention of making Spiderman. I think it definitely resembles him. What do you think?
It took three tries, but we completed an open ended art project with crayons. Phew!
Visit Teaching My Little Bookworm to see more crayon creations.

13 comments:

Susana said...

Their final products look so colorful and pretty! I want to do this--it looks so good in a window.

I'm glad they ended up having fun with something:-)!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

aww they are all great! Sometimes she colors tons sometimes she just does a few lines. She likes crayons alot but she really loves Oil Pastels better!:)

I love your crayon suncatchers. she won't let me shave crayons cuz that then you can never colors she tells me between huge tears! maybe one day!

danita said...

have you tried crayon resist paintings? i sometimes call them "secret messages"--color all over the paper with white crayon and then brush over it with watercolor. or try coloring with any colors and brushing over with diluted black tempera.

Bran said...

Sometimes my kids are not in the mood to do art either. My kids are the same way about crayons, they are quick to use other items and very slow to use crayons.

Michelle Gibson said...

Great job! You had some great options there! I love how vibrant the colors are when the crayons are melted!

Morgan said...

oooh! The wax pictures are pretty!

Lynn said...

Could for you for sticking with it and trying a few different ideas! Seems like you found one they enjoyed. I was wondering if you'd tried crayon resist painting too. I really want to make some crayons by melting down the old crayon bits, but it will take us awhile to fill our little cup of broken pieces. I might do shaped ones for party favors for his birthday in November.

Jenny said...

I agree, it does look like Spider Man :)

Very cute projects.

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

I think they were all terrific ideas! M is more interested in markers and paint too (really, so am I!). The final project looks great, and it was something that never even occured to me! Good job! :)

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Oooo... I love his Spiderman creation! This was definitely worth the effort!! Way to go!

Nadia said...

i really want to try crayon shavings on wax paper but im scared ill mess up my iron
looks like fun tho

Zonnah said...

I really need to try the suncatchers :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You were very persistent, and at least C and R got some ideas on what can be done with crayons. I think their suncatchers turned out quite well.