Monday, August 10, 2009

Butterfly Update

We have four chyrsalides. There were originally five caterpillars, but one disappeared and I have no idea what happened to it. I transferred the chrysalides to the Butterfly Garden Habitat on Sunday. Wow, was that ever stressful! I was very nervous that I would disturb them at this critical time of metamorphosis. So, now we wait!

We have been talking about the life cycle of a butterfly and C drew the first three stages. He does not want to draw a butterfly until he can observe the butterflies that we will hopefully have soon.R drew all four stages: the circles at the top are eggs, the straight line is a caterpillar, the oval next to the caterpillar is a chrysalis, and between the chrysalis and the eggs you can see a butterfly (it's a side view if you could not tell!).

They are learning so much with this experience! I hope to do this every year. I might even consider the ladybug habitat, not an ant farm though - the thought of having all of those ants in my house is a bit disturbing for me.

7 comments:

Susana said...

I love their pictures!

Valerie said...

What a great science project to do with your kiddos.

I taught 3rd grade for 7 years in KS and the life cycle (specifically butterflies) is part of our curriculum.

The kiddos loved watching metamorphosis take place; not to mention learning new vocab! Another treat is experiencing the migration of the monarchs on their way to Mexico; they pass thru KS and are a sight to behold!

Blessings to you,
Valerie

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

That is so cool!! We did the same thing last summer, and it was a huge hit here... I'm sure your kids will love it!!

Jenny said...

That is so cute. It looks like they are having a great time!

I have an award for you here:
http://ourniftynotebook.blogspot.com/2009/08/when-it-rains-it-pours.html

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

that's so cool that you got that for them so they can see it! I want to do that next year.

Nadia said...

thanks for showing us the pics, i cant wait to do this when it gets hotter here.. ive already got the butterfly garden.. now.. to find caterpillars here

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I hope to try this too one day - I am keeping my fingers crossed for your baby butterflies :)