Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Monster Mania!


We enjoyed our last theme day so much that we decided to have another one. This time the theme was monsters and we had a blast.

C and R love these monster books:
The Monster at the End of This Book by Jon Stone
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Go Away, Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley

C is YELLING his best monster yell!

R is showing me her scary monster face complete with claws!

Dancing like monsters was fun too! Two of our favorite monster songs are The Monster Mash by Boris Pickett (click on that link and watch the animated sing-along; it's super cute!) and The Monster Boogie by Laurie Berkner.

C and R created their own monsters:

R's monster

C's monster

Finally, this Melissa & Doug make your own monster puppet kit
was just sitting in a closet for the longest time. I don't know what I was waiting for; it was a big hit. C and R created different monsters for the better part of the afternoon.The body of the monster puppet is a plain purple sock just waiting to be decorated with all of these very cool monster parts. All of the parts have velcro and are easily attached to and detached from the body.We are looking forward to our next theme day. What should it be? So far, we have had a dragon day and a monster day so I think it is time for something girly! What do you think?

11 comments:

Susana said...

These are some of the cutest pictures! That monster kit is great!! They really look like they enjoyed this.

Theme day is such a fun idea, can't wait to see what your next one is!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

that is cute! we love the big green monster!

Annette W. said...

That is really cool! Meghan loves the moon and apples...either would be fun, but not as cool as your themes so far!

Amy said...

My kids have loved the Super Summer Swap, and you always have the most fun ideas! I gave you a blog award over on my site.

superman said...

Every child has his favorite superhero, his role model, a person he wants to meet or even be like. In my case, it was, and still is, Superman!

Tara Broman said...

How about "Fairy Tales" for a theme?
Girls like the princesses and boys like the knights and dragons.

By the way, Monster at the End of this Book was my absolute favorite when I was a child. My children love it too!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Wow, this looks like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, Anna is not a big fan of monsters (to put it mildly) even though we read all the books that are favorites in your house.
I like the idea of a Fairy Tales Day. I can't wait to see what you will come out with,

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

Look like so much fun! Emily's going through a fascination with monsters too, so I'll be using some of these ideas for inspiration, I'm sure. :-)

Lynn said...

You're so creative! I loved The Monster At The End of This Book when I was younger too. You could do a tea party day -- I see that on a lot of blogs lately. I haven't thought girly thoughts in awhile, with my truck-/car-loving boy here. Maybe a zoo sort of theme would satisfy them both? Or circus would be fun? I'm thinking caramel apples (Mmm).

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

R looks so cute making that monster face! I love that monster puppet thing too! WAY COOL!

Sorry about lack of posting...computer is SOOOOOOOOOOO slow! It's KILLING ME!

Angela said...

Hi, Christy! i found your blog from Painted Rainbows and Chamomile Tea (the book contest you won).

i love all of the creative learning projects you've got going on! i am homeschooling my 3 children - 6,4, and 1, so we could use LOTS of your ideas.

as for monsters - have your kids read Frankenstein Makes and Sandwich? my girls LOVE it, especially the book on tape from the library. the zombie samba cracks them up.

okay, i bookmarked ya. i'll be back soon! thanks!