Saturday, August 8, 2009

Open ended art - yellow prints

Photobucket


The theme for Teaching My Little Bookworm's open ended art this week is yellow prints. We decided to try sun prints on yellow construction paper.


We placed items on yellow paper and left them in the sun for most of the day. I asked C and R what they thought would happen to the paper and they both thought it would get warm in the sun. C also guessed that the paper would have shadows on it - I thought that was a pretty good guess.


C and R were amazed to see how the sun faded the paper around the items.


We had a little trouble with the cut up straws moving on the paper so we taped them in place but they may have been too transparent to create a sharp image. We will try this again with different items and different colored paper.

To see the prints created by others, visit Teaching My Little Bookworm!

8 comments:

Gidget Girl Reading said...

we love sun prints those are great!!!! :)

Susana said...

WOW! This is such a fun and educational art project. I truly love this!

You outdid yourself on this one!

Ticia said...

We're going to do the same thing for our print art activity. Since we're studying the sun next week.

Amy said...

Oooh, sun prints. We will definitely need to try some of those this week, they look like so much fun and I don't think either of my kids have done them!

momandkiddo said...

I've been considering doing sunprints, too. Perhaps today, when it is 95 degrees! Ah.

Our Little Family said...

What a GREAT idea! I would definitely like to try this out with my daughter. I'm sure she'd be amazed! :)

I just love your blog and always get the greatest ideas from you. Thank you so much!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is very creative. I tried to do the same project with Anna some time ago, but... the blasted paper didn't fade! My husband ventured the guess that the paper that I used was too high quality, but maybe the color was wrong (it was dark blue). Now I am curious to try again with lighter colors

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Making sun prints has been on our to-do list for a long time. After seeing this though, I think we will have to fit it in this week for sure! Thanks!