Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Preparing for a BIG Day

In a few weeks, C will begin full-day Kindergarten and R will begin a three mornings preschool program. I am doing my best to prepare them for the transition, and of course that involves some good books. Here are a few of our favorites:

The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn is definitely my favorite book to prepare children for school. Chester Raccoon is about to begin school but does not want to go. To comfort him, Mrs. Raccoon shares the secret of the kissing hand.



Mouse's First Day of School by Lauren Thompson is about a little mouse that crawls into a backpack and finds himself discovering all of the wonderful things at school.

Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney features that sweet little llama on his first day of school. He is sad to be without his mother, but in the end discovers that school is fun.



The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing begins with the children and parents preparing for the first day of school and leads us to the parents saying goodbye as their children happily begin their school day. I like that this book touches upon the bittersweet experience parents have as they send their children to school.

Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate is a book that reinforces the alphabet and animal names while also helping children prepare for Kindergarten. We always have fun reading this book because the text reaches out and addresses all of those jittery feelings in an upbeat, rhyming fashion.

Kindergarten Rocks by Katie Davis is a humorous book about a boy who is not the least bit scared of going to Kindergarten. His stuffed dog, Rufus, on the other hand is terrified! They both find out that Kindergarten rocks!

Countdown to Kindergarten by Alison McGhee is about a young girl who is very concerned about the fact that she cannot tie her shoes a few days before she will go to Kindergarten. She soon discovers that she is not alone, and that teachers are there to help students succeed in many ways.

Obviously, going to school is a huge transition for children and they will have to adjust when the time comes but I do think that reading and talking about some of the things they may be feeling, as well as some of the experiences they will have helps a lot. Are your children starting school? How do you prepare?

13 comments:

Susana said...

I remember using a few of these books with Hanna years ago! Some weren't published/written yet--like Anna Dewey's--I love her "Llama" series.

Good luck and lots of warm thoughts daily as you read and prepare with C and R for their big day! Thank you too for sharing these books.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I can't wait to hear how R and C take to school. We used some of those that you listed with Anna when she started going to preschool in Feb. Now, when she goes to her new preschool next week, I am going to revisit them as well. One good book that I wanted to add for R is "DW Guide to Preschool" - Anna really enjoyed that one.

Gidget Girl Reading said...

another great kindergarten series is Miss Bindergarten by Joseph Slate (i think that is his name) they are super cute!

is mommy going to be ok? :) its hard the first few days!

sending virtual hugs!

Jenny said...

Those sounds like great books. Good luck with the start of school.

Stephanie said...

All such great books!
Lots of talk about new friends and snack time, how exciting it will be...oh and dark sunglasses for me!! Have fun:)

Denise said...

Amy at Let's Explore has a great list of books to prepare for kindergarten: http://lets-explore.net/blog/2008/07/my-favorite-kindergarten-books/
My oldest just started kindergarten three days ago and we have been enjoying these books.

Good luck!

Christy Killoran said...

Thank you for the book recommendations and for your kind thoughts.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

What great books for such an important transition! Emily is enrolled in cyber school, which is a lot like home school in many ways. It works well for us, and gives us a lot of flexibility. I hope R and C have a great first day of school! I can't wait to hear more about it!!

Annette W. said...

I'm scared Meghan won't be prepared well if she does go to preschool in October. Most books aren't geared for young three year olds...but we'll see. She is somewhat flexible.

Sherry Gann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry Gann said...

OK, I'm really not crazy. ;)
Let me try this again...We really liked The Kissing Hand, too. :)

(I don't know why my mind didn't register that it was one of the ones you listed in the post!!)

Bobbi & Noe said...

Great list of books. Some of our favs for Back-To-School!

Everytime I see your blog header, it makes me smile. So cute!

Anonymous said...

Christy, I am so thrilled to see that your children are heading off to school this autumn. Cate starts kindergarten on Monday and Silas is starting preschool. I've been worried that I won't be able to find a slightly different tribe of bloggers. I'm looking for people who are interested in fostering an afterschooling/weekend schooling lifestyle. The homeschool life that we've led up till now has served our family well. We are committed to learning in the home.

But I have to say I am so looking forward to coming home and cleaning house with no one fighting in the back ground. ;)

Can we stay in touch about this. I haven't had the ambition to write about this on my blog yet but I plan to very soon.