Sunday, August 30, 2009

Simply Made Sunday - Popsicles

Photobucket


I am really enjoying Simply Made Sunday because I think it is so important to get kids in the kitchen, and this is a great incentive to do that. There are so many opportunities for learning in the kitchen - measurement, food preparation, food safety, etc.

With less than two weeks before school starts for us, we decided to make something that captures the flavors and fun of summer. Our local newspaper had a recipe for homemade ice pops made with fresh fruit - perfect!

*Strawberry Kiwi Fruit Pops*
  • 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and cut into quarters
  • 1 cup fresh strawberries, cleaned and hulled
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon sugar (if needed, this depends on the sweetness of your fruit)
  • One drop vanilla extract
Puree kiwi and strawberries in blender with water, vanilla, and sugar. If mixture is too thick, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture is easily poured but not runny. Taste for sweetness. If it tastes perfect before freezing, add a pinch or two more sugar, as flavors tend to diminish when frozen.

Pour into pop molds and freeze at least 8 hours.

Per serving: 53 calories, 1 g protein, zero fat and cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 9 g sugar
*This recipe was published in The Providence Journal on Wednesday, August 26, 2009.
We also combined one cup of strawberries, one banana, a few spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt, and a little milk in the blender and made another batch of popsicles.

Both flavors were delicious! C was not happy about the seeds from the strawberries and kiwi in his popsicle but he did eat most of it.

We used Tovolo ice pop molds in both rocket and star shapes. If you are in the market for popsicle molds, I strongly recommend these. They are easy to use, very sturdy in the freezer because they fit into a base (see photo below), and they feature built in sticks and drip guards! Our molds came from Amazon.com (if you know me, you know I buy everything from Amazon!), but they are also available at Bed Bath & Beyond.

For more recipes, go visit my friend Susana at Our Homeschool Fun!

13 comments:

Susana said...

These look and sound delicious! My kids have asked for homemade popsicles all summer and for cute molds!

Thanks for the idea!! OH--this is too funny, and you have to be right--the friend who gave me the cookie recipe years back, her mom is obsessed with Paula Deen. I will have to ask her, I talk with her regularly!! Very funny to read that comment this morning!!

Kylie said...

oh yes great popsicles, or as we call them down under 'ice blocks'. I'll add these recipes to mine. Now I wonder if they'll notice me putting in a few spinach leaves hehehe

Our Little Family said...

Yum! It's a little before 9am and it's already hot here and those sound SO good. Maddie loves popsicles so we'll definitely have to try making them with fresh fruit instead of just juice.

And, I LOVE those molds! How neat! We've gone through several sets this summer because I always buy them so cheaply and they break. Will definitely check out Amazon! :)

Lynn said...

Yum! We have those popsicle makers too (the one in your last photo). I'm lazy -- I just pour orange juice into them. Your option sounds much more fun. If I can distract our little guy long enough for me to use the blender, I should really try something like this. He especially loves blueberries and raspberries. I think we'd have to eat those outside. Right before a bath! Thanks for the fun idea. (Someone also suggested pudding pops to me with them but we haven't tried them because of the dairy allergy).

Lynn said...

PS My husband (from NZ) calls them "ice blocks too." This week I noticed that my 21 month old son is starting to say a few words with a slight NZ accent!

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

those molds e so cute! and the recipe soubds yummy!!!

Gidget Girl Reading said...

cute molds! :)

those look yummy! :)

a great way to get them to eat fruit!

you should have added a dahs of coconut water that would have been real yummy!

Jenny said...

I remember making popsicles when I was a kid. How fun!

Andrea said...

Oooh, yum! Those look really good! And I love the molds, too cute!

Denise said...

Sounds yummy and healthy! I Love the molds!

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

This is great! We love kitchen activities too! Emily helped me make two huge pots of chili this evening, and most of the ingredients came from our garden. Love the popsicle molds! I would have never thought to look for those on Amazon... Looks like so much fun!!

Nadia said...

mmm that looks good! thanks for sharing the recipe

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This looks super-yummy and very simple. I think I saw these molds at Target, but missed "the window of an opportunity", since they were in their seasonal section.