Friday, September 10, 2010

Clean Fingerpaint Smoosh

This is a fun tactile experience and the end result is some cool art. 

First, place your paper on a table and drizzle two or three colors of paint on the paper.  Add glitter if you want.

Next, cover the paper and paint with contact paper, STICKY SIDE UP, and tape the edges to the table with long pieces of tape.


Smoosh the paint around by pressing down on the sticky contact paper.  The tactile stickiness combined with the color mixing and paint spreading is a fun experience. 


When you finish smooshing the paint around, discard the contact paper and let the artwork dry!


R did not want to pose with her art, but here is her finished masterpiece!


This idea came from the book, Art With Anything by MaryAnn F. Kohl. 

11 comments:

Amanda said...

Simple, easy, clean fun. My kinda fun! I will have to keep it in mind!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE this idea!! Nudgie does not like fingerpainting and getting her hands dirty. So this is a GREAT project for her! Thanks for sharing! You're awesome!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This looks like so much fun, and I love the resulting colors. I guess the trick is to place the globs of paint far enough, so they don't all merge into one.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I think we had that book, but I missed the smoosh painting - what fun!

Miller Moments said...

We are soooo doing this today! Thanks for the great idea.

Jenny said...

That sounds like a neat book, I like how you added glitter.

Allison said...

Wow that looks like total (and clean) fun! Great back to school pics--your 8th grader is a handsome young man!

Lynn said...

Fun! I always suggest something similar (with freezer paper - I've still never bought contact paper), for young kids (or, ahem, adults) who don't like to get messy with paint. :)

Ticia said...

So, when I was reading that I totally missed you'd put glitter in, and so I was confused when I saw glitter. I felt a little silly when I went back up and there it was plain as day.

Sherri said...

That looks like a ton of fun!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Wonderful!! I have that book on our wishlist -- it looks like so much fun! :-)