Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Stained Glass Sculpture

I am especially fond of projects that involve contact paper and tissue paper because both materials are inexpensive and a little goes a long way.  We have made a lot of "stained glass" or "suncatcher" type crafts using contact paper and tissue paper.  I saw this idea on Valerie's Frugal Family Fun Blog a while ago, and we finally got to make our own bendable stained glass sculpture.  We did this right before bed one night which is why we did it on the bedroom carpet.  I recommend sitting at a table because feet, legs, and pajamas were constantly getting stuck to our contact paper!

I cut one large rectangular piece of contact paper for each child.  Then, I used florist wire from the craft store to make an oval and placed it on the sticky side of the contact paper leaving about a two inch border outside the wire.  You don't have to use florist wire; any thin gauge wire will do, but the florist wire was super cheap.

I then gave C and R some tissue paper and they ripped it into tiny pieces and filled the space inside the wire oval. 



Once they filled the space with tissue paper, I cut slits every few inches all the way around the edge and C folded the sticky contact paper up to cover the wire.

C and R then shaped their sculptures, we turned off the lights, and placed flashlights behind them.  C's sculpture has more red and blue, and R's has a lot of pink.  They were both very impressed with the final results. 




11 comments:

MaryAnne said...

Very cool! I have that same post from Valerie's blog starred to try with my kids.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Yours turned out very pretty!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I like the effect in the dark - looks like Tiffany lamp. I am impressed that you let kids craft in their pj before bed - usually at this point I am so beat I can't wait to put Anna to bed.

Ticia said...

I love the pictures of it over the flashlight.

phasejumper said...

Fun craft! Thanks for the tip on where to buy chalk!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

I saw that post! Always fun to see someone else trying it out. I love the effect (and I have GOT to remember to pick up contact paper)!

Brimful Curiosities said...

What a neat idea! We've made the flat kind, too but adding wire is genius.

Lynn said...

Very cool! Contact paper and tissue paper are two craft items that I always mean to buy and never have. The contact paper would be especially good for the all-ages craft playgroups we host, because a lot of very young toddlers come (under 2 years).

Michelle said...

Very cool, we love tissue paper and contact paper too :)

Jenny said...

Very cool! I saw that on Valerie's blog too, but haven't tried it yet.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Yay!!! They look fantastic!!!!!! :-)

Thanks so much for the link!