Saturday, September 18, 2010

Montana Grizzlies

We are currently studying the state of Montana for our Fifty States Project.  The state animal of Montana is the grizzly bear.  I read the book Moon in Bear's Eyes by Stephen R. Swinburne to C and R this week.  The book describes a day in the life of a grizzly bear family in Yellowstone's high country.  There are a few pages of grizzly bear facts at the end of the book.  C and R both enjoyed the story and the illustrations.  R is a little young for this book, but the fact that the book features a mother grizzly and her two cubs was enough to keep R interested.  It also helped that we brought this book with us to the doctor and read it while we were waiting for C's annual physical.  I had a captive audience.

C and R colored grizzly bear coloring sheets.  C glued his bear to a craft stick to make a puppet.  I cut out R's bear and she glued it onto dark construction paper.  We learned that grizzly bears are mostly nocturnal, so R made a nighttime scene for her bear by sticking some star stickers on the top of the page.  They also learned that grizzly bears are omnivores, so R drew some plants, berries, and animals on the paper.   Here is R's finished Montana grizzly:
The red circles are apples, the green squiggles are plants and grass, and the brown thing is a squirrel for her bear to eat!

I am linking this to What My Child is Reading at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns

11 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

They seem to like huckleberries - as the people selling them at the farmers market claim the high price is due to the terrible risk they take of meeting a grizzly, while picking them :)

Anonymous said...

Doctor's visits are a great way to get in some reading time! Looks like a fun project.

Ticia said...

Though how that bear is going to catch a squirrel I don't know.

I believe Almost Unschoolers are in Montana, and she's done a few posts on things in their area.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I find it a bit ironic that California has a grizzly bear as a state animal even though we have none left in the wild. I didn't know that they are nocturnal - that would explain why they are not very lively in SF zoo exhibit. When they are fed, the zoo keepers give them a mixture of things including plenty of apples, carrots and salad. Anna was fascinated by that. Maybe R wants to add some carrots to her excellent collage.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I love that she included food for the bear to eat. I also didn't realize that bears are nocturnal animals. I've driven through Montana once in my life. Beautiful state.

Sherri said...

I love how your studying the 50 states!

LitLass said...

I love R's picture!

Julie said...

I love her picture! Very cute. And that sounds like a good book to read on the subject.

April said...

I like the food she included in the picture for the bear.

Debbie said...

I chuckled over Leah's comment as my dad use to never let us pick all the huckleberries, he always said we had to leave some for the bears.

Jenny said...

Bears scare me. I heard that MO has them, but I'll have to google that. I hope they aren't anywhere near St. Louis! LOL!