Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Poem and Art


We read a lot of poetry this week.  I am trying to make an effort to read different genres of literature with C and R because most of what we read is fictional picture books and I think it is important to expose them to more than just picture books.  They are familiar with poetry and nonfiction, but we read a lot less of it.  This week, we read a poem from Poetry Speaks to Children.  This is a fabulous book of poetry that we happen to own; if you are only going to buy one book of poetry for your children, I recommend this one.  There are 95 poems from 73 poets including e.e. cummings, Edgar Allan Poe, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, J.R.R. Tolkien, William Shakespeare, Langston Hughes and more.  There are also great illustrations for each poem and there is a CD with poems read by some of the poets.

The poem we read for our stArt (story + art = a great start) project is Crayons:  A Rainbow Poem by Jane Yolen.
This box contains the wash of blue sky,
spikes of green spring,
a circle of yellow sun,
triangle flames of orange and red.

It has the lime caterpillar
inching on a brown branch,
the shadow black in the center of a grove of trees.


It holds my pink
and your chocolate
and her burnt sienna
and his ivory skin.


In it are all the colors of the world.

I gave C and R paper and crayons and let them create art while they listened to me reading the poem.  I read it three times while they worked.  Here is their art:

 You have to love that face.

C drew everything he remembered from the poem and R used the colors that were mentioned in the poem.  

I am linking this to stArt at A Mommy's Adventures.

11 comments:

April said...

That's a great idea to have them color in response to a poem! A great creative activity

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is a great idea and a beautiful book. Our "go to" poetry book is Bill Martin Jr's Big Book of Poetry, and I will try to look for the book you recommend. I like how C and R took different approaches to illustrating this poem, and they both created beautiful artwork.

Ticia said...

Yes the face is awesome. I like the cover for the book you mentioned, cool dragon.

At some point I"ll work on my aversion to poetry, I really will. I like the short silly stuff and the long ballads that tell stories. It's all that lyrical "The tree is pretty" stuff that I have a hard time with.

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Wonderful activity! I read "The Cow in Apple Time" to E at an early age and was surprised how fast she "got" it. We have anthologies as well, but I wish there were more illustrated individual poems, like "The Cow."

Thanks for the inspiration!

RedTedArt said...

Oh it is lovely to draw whilst listening to a story. Brings back happy memories!

Love their artwork!

Maggy
PS would, ahem, LOVE for you to pop over to Kids Get Crafty and hook up too! http://www.redtedart.com/2010/09/08/kids-get-crafty-eric-carle-homemade-puzzles/

Brimful Curiosities said...

I've heard of this compilation but we haven't checked it out yet. My kids really like looking at the illustrations in Here's a Little Poem. What an imaginative activity. We've tried drawing to music but never to a poem!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Excellent resource! We need to read more poetry.

Julie said...

I love the poem and the artwork. I'm definitely going to check out that book. We don't have any poetry books for the kids.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful idea! I love their interpretations of the poem.

LitLass said...

We have a bunch of poetry books, but not this one. My 4-year-old keeps asking for audio books--he would probably love this one. Love the artwork!

Michelle said...

I love the idea of having them color with crayons after reading this poem. I love their drawings :0) I also love the book, i will have to add it to my wish list!!

Thank you for linking up to stART