Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kandinsky

C loves art, and he really enjoys looking at a work of art and then creating something in the style of the artist.  When I showed him some of the art created by Wassily Kandinsky, he was immediately inspired.  Even R wanted to create art after viewing Kandinsky's work.  We looked at a few of Kandinsky's paintings, but this is the one that I had in mind:


I read a little about Kandinsky.  He was born in Russia in 1866 and worked as a lawyer.  He gave up a successful career to devote himself to his painting.  


I gave C and R each a piece of large manila paper that I had folded in half and then in thirds to create six squares.  They used oil pastels to create their masterpieces.  I originally tried to encourage C to cover the entire paper with color, but in the end I realized that he should create his own art without my input. 


R started with circles, but then moved on to other designs!!!


I hope to study more artists with C and R and I hope they are inspired to create more art!  I am thinking a trip to the Museum of Fine Arts may be on the calendar soon.

14 comments:

Ticia said...

I love it. I should check into our local art museum. I've heard there are days that it's free to get in......

Miller Moments said...

That is awesome! :) They did a great job.

MaryAnne said...

This is a cool activity! I should probably try something like this with my kids - Emma is getting old enough that she would probably enjoy it.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

It's so hard to let them create their own vision. I wonder if Whistler's mother had the same problem?

Joyful Learner said...

We looked at Kandinsky's work awhile back but JC didn't want to draw circles so she created rows and rows of hearts. We also did lots of music inspired art after him.

Love the bright colors!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love both R and C's take on Kandinski's work. I am not a big fan of modernistic art, but I think it looks different through a young child's eyes - a lot less intimidating than, say, Rafael.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Wow -- they both made fantastic drawings!! They both looks like they really enjoyed this project, and I love the colors C choose for his. Very vibrant!!

Lynn said...

I love it!! They did such a great job with it. I bet my son would love this idea of copying paintings. Do you know of any books of art that are particularly well suited for that? So many would be impossible to emulate at a young age. But maybe books of modern art. Hmm, you have got me thinking. :)

Jackie said...

what a neat idea to inspire your kids by showing them real art! and Kadinsky is a great example because it is so vibrant and simple!

Michelle said...

What a great activity...I love how they came out!

Christianne @ Little Page Turners said...

Your son's turned out great! My kids never fill in all the space either. Good job censoring yourself - it's hard not to influence sometimes. :)

Lynn said...

We ended up finding a book (in the children's section!) on abstract expressionism, and my boy seemed to like the Mark Rothko paintings, so we might give it a try this week and see how it goes. :) Did you see the new link-up at Adventures of Bear? hoping we can join in this week. http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2010/09/artists-and-art-linky.html

The girl who painted trees said...

I love it. Looks great. Feel free to link this up at http://theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/2010/09/artists-and-art-linky.html even if you don't have the link back to me this week.

April said...

I have been seeing this Kandinsky project everywhere. I love your little girl's take on it though! I love children's art!