Monday, September 13, 2010

A is for Apple

R's preschool uses a letter based curriculum featuring a letter of the week in alphabetical order.  I decided to supplement at home while following along with the letter of the week, so we have been working on the letter "A".  R has done some worksheets, a do-a-dot letter A, and other written work, but she really enjoyed the letter "A" play dough.

I followed my favorite play dough recipe, but added red food coloring and a lot of cinnamon to the dough.  I always add food coloring and spices before heating the dough because it blends better.  I have never had a problem with the food coloring getting on our hands, and I think that is because we mix it in before cooking it.

I gave R a tray with the red play dough, a few tiny twigs from our yard, and some leaves from our yard.  I asked her to form a clump of the dough into a ball shape and then add a twig and leaf.  I never told her to make apples, but she quickly figured it out.  




She also used the dough to make the letter "A".  R really enjoyed this and I am actually considering making play dough to go along with each letter of the alphabet.

*The apple play dough idea came from My Montessori Journey.

6 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This apple looks good enough to eat, and R looks very pleased. I think we will do more playdoh here as well when Anna is back from her travels.

Amanda said...

Apple play dough is on our to do for next week! We are playing with pumpkin pie dough this week.

MaryAnne said...

I love the idea of making play dough to go along with each letter of the alphabet!

We also add food coloring and spices before cooking - the colors seem to come out brighter, and we've also never had trouble with the dyes ending up on hands.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Scented play dough is so much fun. How neat to extend her theme from preschool :)

Lynn said...

fun! We aren't doing a letter of the week here, for the most part, but we have started meeting up with one other mom/daughter for a weekly playdate during which we do a letter of the week craft. Last week we did A, and this week I'm hosting for a B craft.

Jenny said...

Cute!