Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fletcher and the Falling Leaves


We are big fans of Fletcher.  Every autumn, we read Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson, and every spring we read Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms.  He is such a cute, naive little fox.  In this book, it is autumn and Fletcher is worried about the changes occurring to his favorite tree.  He tries to help the tree by gathering all of the fallen leaves and putting them back on the branches, but just can't keep up with the wind.  In the end, Fletcher receives a wonderful winter surprise when his tree is more beautiful than ever.

This is a wonderful book.  C and R really like the illustrations, especially the last shiny, glittery page!

C and R made their own autumn trees with falling leaves.  They used paintbrushes to make trees and then finger painted the leaves.  C's art is on the left and R's is on the right.

We are ahead of the season a bit because our leaves are only just beginning to turn (barely - only a few scattered trees around town), but autumn leaves are so pretty.  Let's just call this a foreshadowing of what is just around the corner!

14 comments:

Rebecca said...

We have never read any Fletcher books! This one sounds sooo cute. I love that you call him naive ;) And their crafts came out great. I love fall crafts!

Sherri said...

What would I do without you? My kids think I know all the cool books...they just don't realize I have a good source! =)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I have to get that book! Both trees turned out so very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Isn't this the sweetest story! Nice paintings. We are actually having an early fall and our leaves are turning. So pretty.

Jenny said...

Cute, our leaves are just starting to change as well. It seems early, but it's hard to believe it's already mid September!

MaryAnne said...

This book sounds really cute, I think I'll see if our library has a copy.

We're barely starting to see leaves, too, but autumn is my favorite time of year in Massachusetts!

MaryAnne said...

Oops, I meant to say, your kids' trees are beautiful!

Miller Moments said...

I love fall tree painting projects! We did some today too and they always turn out so pretty.

April said...

Never heard of this book but I will try to check it out. I want to do some fall activities but we live in Florida so it feels weird to do it now when it still feels like the middle of summer.

April said...

Never heard of this book but I will try to check it out. I want to do some fall activities but we live in Florida so it feels weird to do it now when it still feels like the middle of summer.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I'll have to check, and see if that's one of the fall themed books I put on hold - it's perfect for where we're at right now.

Lynn said...

I love the fall too! Sounds like we need to check out that book. Love your kids' project :)

Lynn said...

I love the fall too! Sounds like we need to check out that book. Love your kids' project :)

Annette W. said...

I think we need to read Fletcher. Two of the three recommended blog posts were also about Fletcher!