Friday, September 24, 2010

Montana


This week we read Montana by Jim Ollhoff.  This is a book full of state facts, historical information and more.  The text was a little wordy for C and R so I read the main ideas from each section and we looked at the pictures together. 

I printed the Montana state outline onto card stock and let C and R fill the pages as they saw fit.  I did suggest that they cover the space with pictures of things related to Montana, and they did a great job.  They both included the state flower (Bitterroot) and the state tree (Ponderosa Pine).  C glued on the grizzly bear (state animal) that he colored and he also stuck on some silver and gold stickers because the state motto is Gold and Silver.  R drew the state bird (Western Meadowlark) with a little help from me.  C also included a mountain and some rocks in his picture. 

I was really happy with the way C and R did these.  I wish I had thought of this in the beginning of our Fifty States Project.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your geography unit you are doing. Looks like a wonderful projects.

MaryAnne said...

I really like this state outline idea, and your son did a really great job coloring that bear!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

They did such a good job! That would be nice to do with each state, then you could put them together into their own book of states.

Ticia said...

That is a good idea. I've had a hard time with nonfiction Oklahoma books, all the ones that I thought were good in the library weren't so much. Sigh, you win some you lose some.

April said...

I've been thinking that when I start my states study that I was going to have my daughter color an outline of the states with the colors of the state flag...open ended style. How long have have you been doing the your project?

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Good idea - I like how their Montana pages turned out. Maybe I will "steal" this idea for the next country we study :)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Wow! They did a great job with their projects! How many states have you gone through now?