Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Peaches


On Monday, we completed another activity from our summer bucket list - we went fruit picking.  Last summer we picked blueberries, so this year we figured we would try peaches.


We drove thirty minutes to a farm where we could pick our own peaches.  Once we arrived, C, R, and I each got a bag and walked over to the peach trees.  The three of us skipped happily among the rows and rows of peach trees, inhaling the wonderful fragrance, and picking the most beautiful peaches we could find.


Pretend you hear a loud screeching noise now as my daydream comes to a quick halt! 


The peaches were very fragrant and we did enjoy looking for the prettiest peaches we could find, BUT there was no happy skipping.  Almost immediately, when we arrived, the mosquitoes came out in full force and viciously attacked the three of us.  They did not care about the bug spray we had liberally applied just minutes before.  Oh no, bug spray was not enough to keep them away from our sweet smelling blood.  Gross, I know.  Sorry.

Anyway, the mosquitoes made C and R grouchy and they just wanted to finish picking the peaches and leave.  C's comment was, "I like picking my peaches from the refrigerator better".

Sometimes, as a parent, I romanticize activities.  I tend to think everyone will have a wonderful time skipping across fields while experiencing nature and realizing that food does not magically appear in our local grocery store.  Oh well.  I tried.  My pictures make the whole experience look enjoyable. 

As far as picking fruit goes, in the past we have enjoyed picking blueberries and apples.  The experiences lasted longer, and I don't remember there being many vicious mosquitoes.  I guess I should be happy that the peach picking experience was over so fast though!

Amy from Super Healthy Kids posted a menu plan featuring foods made with peaches this week.  I am looking forward trying some of her posted meals and snacks.  Check out her blog; she always has great recipes and nutrition information.

12 comments:

Sherry said...

That stinks that it ended so fast! I would have thought peach picking would be so much fun bc peaches are super yummy! but your right, fruit does not magically appear in the market! Better luck on your next "picking" experience!

danita said...

fun times! it's usually the bees that ruin all my romaticized parental moments! :)

MaryAnne said...

"I like picking my peaches from the refrigerator better" - awesome!

I tried to take the kids raspberry picking yesterday, but you had to walk through an overgrown field to get there, and they were NOT interested!

Ticia said...

We had a similar experience with strawberry picking a few years ago. The kids went there, and spent less than 5 minutes picking strawberries, and then headed over to look at the animals. No interest whatsoever in the strawberries.

Mind, we didn't get attacked by vicious blood sucking mosquitoes, so our day was slightly better from that standpoint.

Jenny said...

LOL at C's comment! That's how I feel!

We want to try apple picking with Abby this Fall. We'll see how that goes ;)

Miller Moments said...

I really wanted to go fruit picking this summer but never got around to it. Our blueberries and strawberries here are awesome...but our season was short lived due to weather. Hopefully next year! I'm like you ...I always think the experience will be so wonderful when in fact it's usually full of bickering and scraped knees. :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

At least they'll appreciate the grocery store more now :)

momandkiddo said...

Ugh, I hate mosquitos. They always keep me from enjoying the community garden in late summer.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Well, so I am not the only one who had my visions brutally dashed by silly mother nature last week (I am referring to our Golden Gate Bridge expedition). At least your pictures are way better, and C comment made me laugh. Thanks for the link to superhealthy kids, I have to check that out when I have time.

Amy said...

I love that I'm not the only one romanticizing outings. Last year I took my kids to a "Apple farm" to pick apples. It was in the newspaper and everything. We got there and it was practically in the middle of the city with like 10 trees total, and all the apple's were spoiled by the time we got there. My husband was a little annoyed we drove 30 minutes to that one!
Thanks for the link!

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Oh nooooooo... mosquitoes have a way of ruining just about any activity when they are so vicious like that. We picked peaches last year, but haven't gone yet this year. Mark loves to make peach ice cream every Summer.. yum!!!!

Lynn said...

Ugh, hate mosquitos! We've been having wasps all around us at picnics lately and that has been similarly annoying. I've never been blueberry picnic. My son would love that, but they don't grow well around here, unfortunately. I have really fond memories of strawberry picking when I was little.