Monday, September 6, 2010

Rocket Science

C picked out this cosmic rocket kit when we were visiting my sister in New York last month.  We finally got around to trying it out last week.  The kit contains a plastic rocket and a base.  To make the rocket blast off, you add baking soda to the base, vinegar to the rocket, and then put the two pieces together.  Once assembled, you shake the rocket, put it down outside and move back.

Before beginning, we read the directions and I (being the good Mom that I try to be) emphasized the warnings and safety guidelines.  The most important one being, "DO NOT lean over the rocket once you have assembled it."  I bet you can guess where this is going.


Anyway, we followed the directions and placed the rocket down on the deck.  I probably should have moved away from the house, but I really didn't expect it to fly very high.  Don't worry, it did not hit the house.

Well, we waited, and waited, and waited.  I went in the house and reread the directions - we did everything right.  So, I walked over to the rocket, picked it up, shook it, and looked at it.  It flew right out of my hands, scaring the daylights out of me and swiping the side of my face on it's way up and into our neighbor's yard!  Luckily, there was absolutely no injury, but I really did not set a good example for my children!

We tried to repeat the experiment, but the rocket broke.  Bummer.  It was fun, kind of, or it would have been fun if I didn't interfere with science and ignore the safety warnings.  I would like to make our own version of this, if I can find simple enough directions.

5 comments:

Ticia said...

I know how to do it with a cork and a soda bottle, but not one that actually looks like a rocket.

And when I did our cork rocket, it hit me in the face too because I did the same thing.

Sherri said...

That is so funny...only because no one was hurt! Totally something I would have done! My kids would love that...every bit of it...especially me leaning over, and getting startled! =)

Lynn said...

Glad there were no permanent injuries! Although it would have been pretty funny to say at the start of your class that you are teaching: "Pardon my appearance; I had a run-in with a cosmic rocket."

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Phew, I am glad that you were not hurt! It's probably exactly what I would have done too. I seem to remember reading a pretty interesting rocket experiment at Almost Unschoolers, but it was too involved for me to try at home :)

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

OMGoodness!!! Glad you weren't hurt, but that would have scared the daylights out of me!!!