Saturday, September 11, 2010

Poetry

 This week we read a lot of poems!  Here are the titles of the poetry books that we read:




A Light in the Attic, poems and drawings by Shel Silverstein,
The Big Little Golden Book of Funny Poems, selected by Thea Feldman,
Fancy Nancy Poet Extraordinaire by Jane O'Connor and Robin Preiss Glasser,
Poetry Speaks to Children, Editor - Elise Paschen, and
A Pizza the Size of the Sun, poems by Jack Prelutsky


We did not read every single poem, but we read a lot of poems!  I would definitely recommend any one of these books, but our favorite is Poetry Speaks to Children.  I really like the CD with some poems read by the poets.  The illustrations are fabulous too.  The thing I love most about this book is that it is a great introduction to William Shakespeare, Langston Hughes, Emily Dickinson, Robert Frost, and more great poets.

The Fancy Nancy book does have some poems in it, but it also includes the story of Nancy struggling to write a poem for school.  C and R really liked the "poet-tree" in Nancy's class; this was a construction paper tree on the wall and each student wrote a poem on a leaf to hang on the poet-tree.  I think we may make our own "poet-tree" some day!

Do you have any favorite books of poetry for children?

I am linking this post to What My Child is Reading at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm so glad you recommend that Poetry Speaks to Children book, because I'm pretty sure I got a used copy and put it on our high shelf for when he's ready for it. I LOVED Shel Silverstein's poetry when I was younger (when I was older than my son, though). When I was even older, I remember being amused by Ogden Nash. Oh, we also enjoyed this book, Odd Owls and Stout Pigs, written by Arnold Lobel, author of the Frog and Toad series (our review is here: http://infantbibliophile.blogspot.com/2009/11/childrens-books-that-make-us-laugh.html).

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Awesome review of poetry books and thanks for joining WMCIR. In general we like everything by Mary Ann Hoberman (she wrote a House is a House for Me), and we own her I Read to You, You Read to Me. It's even more awesome to read this book now, when Anna can actually read her lines :)

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

A poet-tree would be a fun project!

Karen Wilson said...

I like the book "Hip Hop Speaks to Children." It must be a series. I also really like the book "Messing Around on the Monkey Bars." It's poems to read together. One person reads one line, the other person reads the next. It's a fun book.

Karen Wilson said...

I like the book "Hip Hop Speaks to Children." It must be a series. I also really like the book "Messing Around on the Monkey Bars." It's poems to read together. One person reads one line, the other person reads the next. It's a fun book.

LitLass said...

We love Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky. I put Poetry Speaks to Children on our list.

Brimful Curiosities said...

We made our own version of the "poet-tree" for poetry month last April. You can see it at the bottom of this post:
http://www.brimfulcuriosities.com/2010/04/read-aloud-poetry-national-poetry-month.html

My daughter also loves Shel Silverstein's poems. She likes the strange illustrations that accompany the verses.