Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Alaska - Two More Books


Under Alaska's Midnight Sun by Deb Vanasse is a book about the summer solstice in Alaska.  A young girl is enjoying the longest day of the year with her mother and little brother, and she is excited because she can stay up all night.  It's a cute book and actually reminds me of how excited young children get for New Year's Eve and the possibility of staying up late.  The author's note states that in Barrow, Alaska, the sun rises in May and sets eighty-three days later; people refer to this as the midnight sun.  The sun also sets in mid-November and doesn't rise again until the end of January, sixty-seven days later.  C and R both found this very interesting, and C decided he wants to live in northern Alaska for one year!  I don't think I will be able to join him; it's cold enough in Massachusetts!

Wiggle - Waggle Woof!, Counting Sled Dogs in Alaska by Cherie B. Stihler is a fantastic book for preschoolers and early elementary aged children.  The author is actually a kindergarten teacher in Alaska, which explains why the book is so great for young children.  The book is a great introduction to sled dogs and mushing lingo, and it has the added bonus of being a counting book.  I strongly recommend this book for an Alaskan state study! 
 

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Fun books! I just started watching a cool show called Alaska State Troopers. I think it's on National Geographic. It's not for the kids, but I love watching the beautiful scenery! Plus the cops in the leather bomber jackets aren't too bad to look at either. LOL!

Ticia said...

Jeff keeps threatening to move us to Alaska. Usually in the middle of summer when it's 100 something degrees out.

MaryAnne said...

My mom grew up in Alaska, and it definitely gets COLD! I would love to visit, someday, though!

Debbie said...

I would love to visit Alaska. These books sound cute, I will have to see if our library has them.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's amazing how many good books you found for Alaska study. I would love to visit there one day (probably on a cruise during summer time :))