Friday, March 11, 2011

Mardi Gras Play Dough and Masks

We are currently studying the state of Louisiana and I decided to spend one more day on Mardi Gras fun before moving on to all of the other wonderful things about the state.


We are reading Mimi's First Mardi Gras by Alice Couvillon.  We love the way the book is illustrated mostly in the colors of Mardi Gras.  It is a great introduction to Mardi Gras, and it features all of the fun details we have been talking about - parades, King Cake with a tiny baby doll inside, beignets, and beads!

I mentioned in an earlier post that there are three colors associated with Mardi Gras and each color has a meaning.  Purple stands for justice, green symbolizes faith, and gold is for power.  The colors were chosen by Rex, the King of Carnival, in 1892 and he assigned their meaning. 


I considered making some of our favorite homemade play dough this week, but I noticed that we had three brand new containers of the store bought variety in Mardi Gras colors, so that worked out great.

I have no idea why he wanted his vest on to play with play doh.

 
When I was a sophomore in college, I went to New Orleans for Mardi Gras with some friends.  I remember that there were houses painted (the whole house, really) in the bright Mardi Gras colors.  I was telling C and R about this, and C decided to make his own Mardi Gras house using one of our cookie cutters.


He thought it would look even better if he pushed his Mardi Gras beads into the dough to make designs.

C and R each made their own Mardi Gras masks too.  We learned that by law, float riders in the Mardi Gras parades must always have a mask on.  Also, on Fat Tuesday, masking is legal for everyone else, and the elaborate masks that some wear add to the fun.  C and R used fun foam (I cut out the masks and they decorated them), pom poms, feathers, and sequins to make their masks.

15 comments:

Elle Belles Bows said...

The playdough is so fun!! Love the idea of pushing the beads into too!!

Kerri

Anonymous said...

How fun! Love the house C made!

Debbie said...

Everything looks like so much fun. Love their masks.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

They probably won't forget the Mardi Gras colors!

Anonymous said...

Their masks turned out pretty!

MaryAnne said...

I love the beads on C's house!

Cara said...

We did Mardi Gras playdough this month too, but I LOVE the idea of pushing beads into it. I didn't even know there WERE books about Mardi Gras! Also, I love the way your masks turned out! I had that on our to do list, but we never quite got around to it!

Ticia said...

I LOVE their masks.

To my mind that is one of the great tragedies of wearing glasses, you can't wear masks.

Jenny said...

Love the masks! I just found out that St. Louis, MO is the second biggest Mardi Gras celebration! Of course, New Orleans would be first.

Creatively Content said...

Honestly it is fun for me to follow your blog. You keep me updated on the little holidays in the States. They pass us by over here..plus you find the funnest books.

Elizabeth said...

Love the masks!

Unknown said...

Looks like the kids had a blast with the playdoh and the masks turned out great!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

You had great fun with this theme! I love playdoh play ideas.

Susana said...

These are some super fun Mardis Gras crafts, but I've got to say, my favorite thing about this post is that awesome close-up of the play doh:-)!!

Susana said...

I'm such a dork, I just realized I spelled Mardi Gras wrong in my first comment....what a great hschool teacher--LOL!