Saturday, March 12, 2011

Favorite Books of the Week


Thanks to a recommendation from Natalie at Mouse Grows, Mouse Learns, we are thoroughly enjoying the book Out of Sight by Pittau & Gervais.  What a cool book; seriously, we love it!  Each page features flaps that you lift to learn information about different animals.  Before you lift the flap, however, you have to try to figure out what animal is hidden beneath the flap.  The flap itself provides a visual clue - a silhouette, a fur pattern, a sneak peek at a body part, or a footprint.  We learned a lot of cool facts from this book.  Did you know that mice have eighteen toes, or that elephants can communicate with sounds too low-pitched for humans to hear?  My favorite fact in the book is that a rhinoceros horn isn't a true horn; it's made of extremely dense hair!!  I love this book; C and R do too!

I know I shouldn't encourage the potty humor my children seem to enjoy so much, but after they enjoyed The Butt Book so much, I could not resist picking up Always Lots of Heinies at the Zoo by Ayun Halliday when I saw it displayed at the library.  This book is a tour of the zoo, featuring the bums of all of the zoo animals.  C and R were most amused by a little boy's decision to act like a zoo animal at the end of the book; I'll leave that to your imagination!

What are your favorite books for children?  Join me over at What My Child is Reading!

11 comments:

MaryAnne said...

"Out of Sight" sounds really neat!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I think my house is already too close to a zoo, to encourage any more of that kind of humor :)

Ticia said...

We struggle with the potty humor too

Debbie said...

Though we are not real fond of flap books, I will have to see if I can get "Out of Sight"

Elizabeth said...

I will have to check these out...they sound like books my kids would love!

LitLass said...

Those both sound great! My library doesn't seem to have Out of Sight or The Butt Book, but it does have Heinies, so I'll be getting that.

Jenny said...

Baboons have the nastiest buttocks! Did you watch SNL? There used to be a skit about that. LOLOL!

The first book sounds cool. However, I am pretty grossed out about the rhino's horn!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I knew you will love Out of Sight - I thought that it was fantastic. I have to see if our library has Heinies book. Potty humor is definitely visiting us too, but I figure that it's a phase that will go away on its own.

Ayun Halliday said...

Thank you for sharing my heiners with your children!

(the book was partially inspired by the many baboon booties we used to see pressed up against the glass at the Prospect Park Zoo in beautiful Brooklyn NY)

Jackie Higgins said...

Whatever gets them to read, right? They do seem to go through a stage where gross is good! We're not exactly there yet but I'll keep it in mind when we get there!

Susana said...

I've been wanting to get that butt book and keep forgetting. I'll have to add this heinie one now too. I am always saying heinie to the kids and they think it's so funny.